Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnRgt

Federer's incredible shot at 2010 US Open

8 posts in this topic

Great shot. I was flipping channels and I happen to catch this live. A similar feat was done by one of the women during another match.

I used to play varsity tennis in college. I know we used to practice those "silly" shots, behind the back, between the legs, etc. What he did was not luck. He had to have practiced that shot for hours and hours and hours over the years (on top of the hours and hours and hours working the "regular" shots), so that a quick flick won him this point from what looked to be an impossible disadvantage. If he'd turned around, he'd have had to set up and telegraph the direction of the shot and, other than a lob to take Djokovich off the net, with the risk of an easy overhead return, there was no obviously better option. And he was ahead.

So I'm not just impressed that he knocked that between-the-legs shot perfectly past Djokovich with enough pace and topspin to make it a clear winner but that all of that preparation made it just look like child's play. Maybe, in a way, it is: His love for the game, his mastery of it, his joy in trying something outrageous, is so obvious that that made me laugh.

Alan's comments from above reminded me of one of the people on youtube's comments. The person stated that he tried to hit a ball like that once and thankfully his groin area recuperated just fine. :)

I used to play varsity tennis in college. I know we used to practice those "silly" shots, behind the back, between the legs, etc. What he did was not luck. He had to have practiced that shot for hours and hours and hours over the years (on top of the hours and hours and hours working the "regular" shots), so that a quick flick won him this point from what looked to be an impossible disadvantage. If he'd turned around, he'd have had to set up and telegraph the direction of the shot and, other than a lob to take Djokovich off the net, with the risk of an easy overhead return, there was no obviously better option. And he was ahead.

So I'm not just impressed that he knocked that between-the-legs shot perfectly past Djokovich with enough pace and topspin to make it a clear winner but that all of that preparation made it just look like child's play. Maybe, in a way, it is: His love for the game, his mastery of it, his joy in trying something outrageous, is so obvious that that made me laugh.

Wonderful comments, Alan.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0