mweiss

Wealth and Brains Not Proportional

8 posts in this topic

The topic is Why do some Objectivists fear Psychoacousitics? and somehow (obviously) the topic of Ayn Rand came into it.

It's gets ugly around post #17, where that stupid article from the New Yorker was quoted.. and it goes downhill from there.. Here's the whole thread:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.p...19003#post19003

The above forum is frequented by millionaires and billionaires.. the sort who spend $15,000 on a pair of speaker cables (that's right, pieces of overpriced WIRE) and $120,000 on sh*tty little single-ended triode amplifiers (the sort of amplifier was common in table radios in 1940). No wonder their grasp of reality is so far off... anyway, though y'all would be amused by the vitriole and utter ignorance spewed out of the mouths of the wealthy.

No wonder their grasp of reality is so far off... anyway, though y'all would be amused by the vitriole and utter ignorance spewed out of the mouths of the wealthy.

You mean SOME wealthy. OTHER wealthy people -- like John Allison and Monroe Trout and others -- know good ideas when they see them and use some of their wealth to support the Ayn Rand Institute and other Objectivist causes.

No wonder their grasp of reality is so far off... anyway, though y'all would be amused by the vitriole and utter ignorance spewed out of the mouths of the wealthy.

You mean SOME wealthy. OTHER wealthy people -- like John Allison and Monroe Trout and others -- know good ideas when they see them and use some of their wealth to support the Ayn Rand Institute and other Objectivist causes.

In general, I agree, but this group is a particular type of wealthy--the mooching mystical variety (as I've learned from the way they evaluate audio equipment) and their tastes fall into the category of the frilly and impractical, much like the kings and queens of old England. While I don't doubt that some of them earned their wealth legitimately, many of them are lawyers and pundits, hawking fraudulent products to ignorant wealthy suckers. It's The Emperor's New Clothes, going on in numerous discussions there.

I do realize there are rational wealthy individuals, but I am becoming convinced that the irrational far outnumber the rational.

In general, I agree, but this group is a particular type of wealthy--the mooching mystical variety (as I've learned from the way they evaluate audio equipment) and their tastes fall into the category of the frilly and impractical, much like the kings and queens of old England. While I don't doubt that some of them earned their wealth legitimately, many of them are lawyers and pundits, hawking fraudulent products to ignorant wealthy suckers. It's The Emperor's New Clothes, going on in numerous discussions there.

I guess you mean the unearned wealth "wealthy"-- the James Taggarts rather than the Dagny Taggarts.

Yes, exactly that kind of wealth.

When someone starts out with an explicit "troll" post, which he even labels a "troll", the sense of life is already suspect, to be generous. His strawman proposition is utterly devoid of content; he might as well have randomly struck his keyboard with a baseball bat for an equally meaninful assertion (and would have done us a service in the process).

The kind of person who spends his time trying to annoy others, to provoke irritation, is not worth engaging in conversation. The Carl who starts off that thread is both the instigator and the psychologizing, smug, smear-mongering hack who quoted and elaborated on the Times libel against Rand (was this the Jennifer Burns book? Sounds like it).

Layering psychologizing and assumption on psychologizing and assumption now passes for insight in some circles. From what I read on this thread, that circle has only two members, this sneering, value-hating Carl, and "Phelonius Monk", who, knowing nothing, but enjoying the ad hominem as a coward admires a bully, jumped in with his own, then tried to pretend that nothing offensive had been said. One to avoid, one to ignore.

Interesting that they choose an irrelevant venue in which to spew, on the assumption that actual Objectivists might be absent and they could carry on without serious confrontation.

Appreciate your defense of the Good.

I do realize there are rational wealthy individuals, but I am becoming convinced that the irrational far outnumber the rational.

I find that the irrational ones, the secondhanders are the noisy ones who are busy drawing everyones attention to themselves.

They continuously show their wealth off to get everyones attention so they are always very easy to spot.

The rational ones don't have time for that, they are too busy living and enjoying their lives.

The general rule that I have, is don't confuse the noise level for the quantity. :)

I find that the irrational ones, the secondhanders are the noisy ones who are busy drawing everyones attention to themselves.

They continuously show their wealth off to get everyones attention so they are always very easy to spot.

The rational ones don't have time for that, they are too busy living and enjoying their lives.

The general rule that I have, is don't confuse the noise level for the quantity. :blink:

I do know what you're talking about :P In a normal society, people would get rich because they have ability, because they are productive, because they do have something to offer on the market... But then again, there are those who get rich trough dubious/unethical/illegal or borderline illegal practices or trough some form of sheer luck, and then they expect to be valued for the sheer fact that they have money. It's merely them who spend money on very posh clubs and gas-guzzling cumbersome cars that are far from practical in the city and all other kind of, so to say, "ostentatious consumption", because they feel the constant need to prove they can buy all the bling they want and thus they are powerful. Someone who works hard for their money should know their value beter than this.