Brad Harrington

Your Life IS Your Own!

28 posts in this topic

YOUR LIFE IS YOUR OWN!

By Bradley Harrington

“The creator’s concern is the conquest of nature. The parasite’s concern is the conquest of men.” - Ayn Rand, “The Fountainhead,” 1943 -

All political systems, by their very natures, are based on a prior code of ethics; for, before one can have a view of man as a social entity, one must have a view of man as an individual first.

As yet another proof of this reality, consider the following news story:

“Senate Democrats plan to propose legislation this week aimed at cracking down on companies that move jobs offshore, congressional sources tell CNN.” (“Senate Democrats’ target: Outsourced jobs,” cnn.com, Sept. 24th.)

This plan “would create a payroll tax break for companies that hire U.S. workers in place of foreign workers. The bill would also raise taxes for companies that moves jobs and plants overseas.”

Keep in mind, as you read this, where all jobs and businesses originate: in the private sector, where individuals who choose to start up or maintain an enterprise do so on the basis of their ability to earn a profit for themselves.

And, of course, it also happens to be true that such actions are good for “society” as well, in the sense that other people benefit from them. But the primary motivation, the root source of such growth and expansions, is: the self-interest of the owners of the enterprise.

Senate Democrats, however, would turn this principle on its head, replacing it with the principle of “social need” instead. Such Senate Democrats view it as their duty to tax, coerce and regulate business owners in whatever fashion they deem necessary to achieve what they consider to be the “proper” social result.

And what is the moral principle underlying such a view? That your life and property are not your own, to do with as you peacefully see fit - but something that belongs to “society” instead, where your self-interest is to be subordinated to the “needs” of others. It is a view that turns all of mankind into a herd of objects to be sacrificed for a “greater” social “good.” It is the principle at the core of every despot, every dictator, every totalitarian regime in history.

Consider the implications of such an approach to social organization:

Got a job you need filled? Forget about the assets of your potential employee and his ability to meet the position’s requirements; that’s just your self-interest talking. You must hire an American, even if he has no qualifications at all. Why? Because he needs a job.

Thinking about moving your operations overseas? Forget about whether this would make you more profits, by being closer to your source of raw materials for instance, or of being able to hire cheaper labor; that’s just your greedy selfishness at work. You need to stay local, even if it means not being able to compete, even if it means that you lose money. Why? Because the jobs you have to offer aren’t really yours, but belong to your fellow Americans instead.

Are you wondering where the creator, the producer and the innovator fit into such a scheme? They don’t - except to serve as the unrecognized, unacknowledged, undefended, continually scapegoated and socially enslaved fodder that make such schemes possible. For, without such men and women, what jobs or what goods would exist to “selflessly” control and distribute?

Whatever you want to call such a morass of altruistic collectivism, it certainly bears no resemblance to the original principles the United States was founded upon. So just forget about liberty, forget about the Constitution, forget about the Declaration of Independence - and, most importantly, forget about what all these things stand for: the sanctity of the individual. Need now trumps it all, as determined by your “selfless” rulers.

This is the Democrats’ view for you and your property - and, indeed, for all of America. Is it any wonder that many companies are moving their operations overseas? Most of them are seeking to flee the ever-more-burdensome decrees of the slave pen.

If you seek to challenge this collectivist control, it is the moral precept of such policies you need to be questioning: the idea that your life is not your own. Stand up and assert your right to exist for your own sake - for, make no mistake about it, that is what the looters are after. And, if they win, it will be because you threw away your best weapon.

--

Bradley Harrington is a former U.S. Marine and a writer who lives in Cheyenne, Wyoming; he can be reached at timeforeverymantostir@yahoo.com.

Yet another great observation, Brad. Unfortunately this is also the view of Republicans. The only difference between Republicans and Democrats is a matter of degree.

Yet another great observation, Brad. Unfortunately this is also the view of Republicans. The only difference between Republicans and Democrats is a matter of degree.

Democrats and Republicans are individuals who differ enormously from each other and from others registered in the same political party in significant respects. I have found many strongly individualistic Republicans and a few Democrats who are able and willing to fight for their own rights and those of people they selfishly value. In my experience, however, the Republican individualists outnumber the Democrats by about 100 to 1.

Democrats and Republicans are individuals who differ enormously from each other and from others registered in the same political party in significant respects. I have found many strongly individualistic Republicans and a few Democrats who are able and willing to fight for their own rights and those of people they selfishly value. In my experience, however, the Republican individualists outnumber the Democrats by about 100 to 1.

Hi Betsy:

That, for what it is worth, has been my experience as well.

With Regards,

Brad

timeforeverymantostir@yahoo.com

Blek, the comments on that article are horrid.

Write some better ones.

Hi Betsy:

I think Cadence did...at least, someone named "J. Christopher" had a nice thing to say. It's always pleasant to stumble across a diamond in the dirt here and there...

With Regards,

Brad

I would consider it a badge of honor to get the negative comments. At least you know that you're angering the right people. :)

Blek, the comments on that article are horrid.

Write some better ones.

I did :)

Hi Cadence. Yes, you did indeed. So you ARE J. Christopher, as I suspected. And it was a well-thought-out comment you left - much better that the dreck underneath. Thanks!

With Regards,

Brad

Thank you! I love to see Ayn Rand's ideas in the media. I'm excited for the day when I am confident enough in my ability to submit an article to be published.

Thank you! I love to see Ayn Rand's ideas in the media. I'm excited for the day when I am confident enough in my ability to submit an article to be published.

Writing comments on others' articles and posts is a good first step and a good way to build up that confidence.

Writing comments on others' articles and posts is a good first step and a good way to build up that confidence.

Betsy is absolutely correct here, Cadence. I first started off with Letters to the Editor. That was back in 1980, when I was still just 20 and had only been reading Rand for a year or so.

Most of what I wrote got edited out - but, after I was done being miffed, I observed HOW it was being edited. And realized that it was, for the most part, being cleaned up and corrected. So I started doing that myself. Within a year, the Orange County Register was publishing stuff just the way I wrote it. And, a year after that, I took a risk and turned something in to the Op-Ed page instead of the Letters column. That was my very first writing sale - $50.00! (A piece on the "bilateral" nuclear freeze nonsense that was floating around at the time during Reagan's presidency.)

Of course this was all pre-Internet and the Register wouldn't run anybody more than once every few weeks, so you have the opportunity to accelerate that process greatly. Also, judging from the comment you left on the Miner's website, you are further ahead in your knowledge of the principles of Objectivism than I was at 20.

An additional pointer: As you put your stuff out there, place close attention to the feedback you receive. Is it valid? Are you stating your ideas properly? Could there have been a better way to say something that might have caused your words to have a better impact? You'll learn pretty quickly how to separate the misrepresentations and innuendos from the constructive criticism.

I'm more guilty of these kinds of transgressions that anybody. I often write a piece while I'm still spitting sparks, and the piece would have been better served by me approaching it from a cooler standpoint a little later. There's not a piece I've written in the last two years that I wouldn't alter in some way, shape or form. But sometimes I don't have time for a "later"; I currently have commitments for three pieces a week and I work 50 or more hours a week at a "real" job as it is.

But you know what? Screw it. Better to write that way that not write at all. Someday, over the rainbow, when I'm paid JUST to write and I don't have to spend most of my time cleaning critters off machines, I'll do it right. In the meantime...take life in big chunks! Moderation is for monks.

So rev it up and give 'em hell! As Robert Heinlein once observed: "The best way to learn how to write is to write!"

With Regards,

Brad

For some reason, I never considered letters to the editor. That is a great idea. I also, when writing, adhere to the principles outlined in Ayn Rand's The Art of Nonfiction, which has helped me enormously. I plan, when I finally graduate this semester, to write much more.

I cannot stress enough the importance of writing decent comments to counter offensive ones.

Most impressionable people (young or old) are looking for confirmation, or leadership for others, or some kind of clarifying of views. An article is presented much like a textbook to a child - as a work written almost by an alien living in another world. However, comments represent the opinion of fellow readers, and as such are an extremely powerful influence on the mind of an undecided reader.

It may well be that many people change the way they look at the world if even two or three readers of this thread could take the time to answer every point, no matter how inane, brought up by leftist comments. Reason is hard to reason against. For example, "Az Danno" goes for an ad hominem truffled with falsities. You can point out first that the method is not operational, and second the falsities on a case by case basis coupled with sources. Nothing like a calm, poised, reasonable answer to tame the leftist troll, embarassed at being proven wrong. Ideally, you want to answer every point logically.

I would do it but it's midnight and I just got home, and I'm going to work at 6am tomorrow because I adore my job. Unfortunately, productive people are busy. I hope some of you (Betsy?) have the spare quarter hour to change the life of several dozen readers.

I would do it but it's midnight and I just got home, and I'm going to work at 6am tomorrow because I adore my job. Unfortunately, productive people are busy. I hope some of you (Betsy?) have the spare quarter hour to change the life of several dozen readers.

<smile> Someone once asked P.J O'Rourke why it was that the Lefties can always seem to field thousands of "protestors" at the drop of a hat, and why the Right had such a hard time meeting such population requirements. "We have jobs," O'Rourke replied. :D

And, for anyone with an interest, here's the Philadelphia Bulletin's link:

http://thebulletin.us/articles/2010/10/10/...ae611680219.txt

With Regards,

Brad

Once again I would like to comment but am in a rush.

Suffice to say though, Brad, that this cartoon PERFECTLY captures a certain issue (fairly related) about "public schooling". It's particularly salient at least in France (the one country I have experience with). I LOVE it and have as usual forwarded it along to many friends all around the world.

<smile> Someone once asked P.J O'Rourke why it was that the Lefties can always seem to field thousands of "protestors" at the drop of a hat, and why the Right had such a hard time meeting such population requirements. "We have jobs," O'Rourke replied. :lol:

With Regards,

Brad

I left a comment Brad.

For some reason, I never considered letters to the editor. That is a great idea. I also, when writing, adhere to the principles outlined in Ayn Rand's The Art of Nonfiction, which has helped me enormously. I plan, when I finally graduate this semester, to write much more.

You can also employ both your viewpoint and your writing talents in school, too. <big grin> Don't know how much affect that will have on your grades, however.

With Regards,

Brad

Once again I would like to comment but am in a rush.

Suffice to say though, Brad, that this cartoon PERFECTLY captures a certain issue (fairly related) about "public schooling". It's particularly salient at least in France (the one country I have experience with). I LOVE it and have as usual forwarded it along to many friends all around the world.

You honor me, Corentin. Thanks much! My blogsite is also showing a larger amount of overseas hits, and I suspect that is your influence at work as well. You are the bomb!

With Regards,

Brad

Brad, I piggy-backed my own article on the jerks in the comments section. I hope you don't mind :-)

BTW, if anyone is interested...

http://opinion-forum.com/index/2010/10/the...e-eco-fascists/

No problem on this end with that at all! Actually I saw your comment, read your piece, enjoyed it immensely, and THEN saw your post here. Heh heh! It's a smaller world than we think, and great minds still often think alike!!

With Regards,

Brad

<smile> Someone once asked P.J O'Rourke why it was that the Lefties can always seem to field thousands of "protestors" at the drop of a hat, and why the Right had such a hard time meeting such population requirements. "We have jobs," O'Rourke replied. :D

With Regards,

Brad

I left a comment Brad.

Hi Arnold:

Saw that one too. So far it's Rational Thinkers, 3 (counting my original piece of course); Loser Altruist Scum, 0. :D

With Regards,

Brad

keep up the great work, Brad!