Brianna

Introduction

12 posts in this topic

Hello all. My name's Brianna, and I'm in central IL. I'm just finishing up my masters degree in aerospace engineering at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, and hoping I'll soon be able to quit the college town and get a real job. Right now I earn my keep and tuition by working half-time for the Army Corps of Engineers, which is interesting when they have stuff for me to do and really boring when they don't.

I live in a studio apartment, which contains about 400 books and no TV. I do martial arts to keep fit and stay sane. I like to cook and do craftwork, and more recently I've started to do some target shooting. I read Rand's fiction in high school, but didn't really get serious about the ideas until a friend indirectly prodded me into reading the nonfiction summer before last. Usually my time gets divided between work, reading, martial arts, surfing the net and hanging out with friends.

I mostly joined the forum for the chance to hold discussions on interesting topics with people of like mind and worldview. So thanks to Betsy for letting me in, and looking forward to getting to know everybody.

Welcome Brianna, you sound interesting. If you like target shooting, I find archery is very satisfying. It is literally one's own effort that sends the arrow on it's way. Besides, you don't need ear protection. :)

You will find a lot of intelligent threads here, and see how amazing it is, that much disagreement can arise regardless of shared principles.

Welcome Brianna, you sound interesting. If you like target shooting, I find archery is very satisfying. It is literally one's own effort that sends the arrow on it's way. Besides, you don't need ear protection. :)

You will find a lot of intelligent threads here, and see how amazing it is, that much disagreement can arise regardless of shared principles.

I only started shooting (Ruger 10-22, and I took a basic handgun course) over the summer, so I'm not that into it yet. I've thought about trying archery, but will probably wait until after I've graduated and settled into wherever I end up moving to. Not only does that mean less stuff to carry while moving, it also means more time for thesis now and more money to spend on archery later once I've got a real job :-)

Hi Brianna. Welcome to the FORUM. We seem to have somewhat similar interests: I'm in my senior year (of undergrad) studying Marine Engineering and Naval Architecture and enjoy target shooting as well - I mainly shoot a Beretta Neos .22. I think it's a pretty fun way to hone my concentration skills, and hopefully it will help me learn to focus harder in other aspects of life as well. (I stole that idea from an exceptional mountaineer who used it for the same reason. I haven't been able to climb lately, so I decided to give it a shot as well.)

What's your thesis about? I'm writing one now as well - basically the design and simulation of a control system for dynamically positioned ship (ie, a ship positioned using only her thrusters.) It's very similar to the control system on UAV.

Anyway, hope you enjoy this forum. I find the quality of the discussion here is outstanding (for the most part).

Zak

Hello Brianna and welcome to the Forum!

I too study for my Masters Degree in Aerospace Engineering at the Technion IIT (Israeli Institute of Technology).

What is the topic you study for your Masters degree?

I hope you enjoy this Forum as much as I do!

Alon

Cool, engineers. Aerospace engineers, no less. And an Israeli. I'm liking this place already.

My specialty is dynamics and controls, and my thesis is about optimizing transfer trajectories between relative orbits. For non-orbital-mechanists, relative orbits are when you're looking at the trajectory of a satellite from the perspective of another, nearby satellite. I use particle swarm first, and then examine the trajectories found by the particle swarm algorithm with primer vector theory.

I didn't really intend to get into shooting as a hobby. At first I only wanted to learn so that I'd have the skill if I ever needed it, but when I started practicing on my own with my rifle, I realized I enjoyed it for the same reason you mentioned Zak: concentration. A weird thing to say about shooting a gun (since they are loud and go bang), but between the total concentration you have on what you're doing and the fact that you're controlling your breathing when you shoot, it almost feels like a form of meditating. You're very focused, very in the moment, and not worrying about anything else.

Alon, I warn you now that I think your country is cool and I'll probably want to ask you lots of questions. If I start to get annoying, tell me.

I must say I wasn't expecting so many tech-minded people to be floating around here. Very pleasant surprise to get :-)

Glad to hear you are already enjoying your time here and that you enjoy the shooting of weapons. As a prior Marine I have shot all sorts of different weapons to include pistols, rifles, grenade launchers and so much more. I cosistently shot an M-16 at targets more than 500 yards away, without a scope, which as you mention takes serious concentration. I have also shot .50 cals at many different objects and watched everything in its kill zone fall or be torn apart. One of the most enjoyful weapons to shoot was a Mk 19 grenade launcher, and when the grenade hit it's target it is a wonderful thing to see, especially at night. I hope you keep getting a lot of enjoyment out of both activities.

Cool, engineers. Aerospace engineers, no less. And an Israeli. I'm liking this place already.

My specialty is dynamics and controls, and my thesis is about optimizing transfer trajectories between relative orbits. For non-orbital-mechanists, relative orbits are when you're looking at the trajectory of a satellite from the perspective of another, nearby satellite. I use particle swarm first, and then examine the trajectories found by the particle swarm algorithm with primer vector theory.

Sounds very interesting. I have only started my degree so I don't yet know exactly what I'll concentrate on , But It'll probably be from the field of Guidance and Control also.

Alon, I warn you now that I think your country is cool and I'll probably want to ask you lots of questions. If I start to get annoying, tell me.

I must say I wasn't expecting so many tech-minded people to be floating around here. Very pleasant surprise to get :-)

You are more than welcome to ask as many questions as you like! I never get annoyed by questions...

:-)

Welcome, Brianna!

I'm not an engineer, but some of my best friends are engineers. :) And, ok, my father was an aerospace engineer. And I'm currently a Data Architect/Analyst, working on a telecom engineering project. There's a wide range of knowledgeable, well-read, interested, and interesting people here, so you should have plenty of people to converse with.

Cheers!

Alan