Betsy Speicher

Robert Tracinski on the Objectivist Movement

2 posts in this topic

Robert Tracinski has written an important article on the history and current conflicts among Objectivists who support ARI, Leonard Peikoff, and/or John McCaskey. You can read it here.

Rob is an extraordinary journalist who always sticks to the facts and this article is no exception. I can verify that most of what he cites are matters I have known about for years. What he has done, in making them public for the first time, is provide links to original sources and a context which makes them understandable. I urge concerned Objectivists to read Rob's article and the links he provides.

I also want to state that, while I agree with the facts Rob presents, I seriously disagree with some of the major conclusions he draws from them. I am currently preparing my own statement based on the same facts Rob cites. When it is finished, I will make it public. I haven't decided where, but it probably will not be on THE FORUM. I intend to reserve THE FORUM for discussions, in a positive spirit of mutual respect, of "facts, values, and friends." Conflicts among Objectivists can and should be aired, but not here.

When my statement is available, I will tell you where to find it. Until then, I urge those who want to discuss it now to do so on Facebook or other forums.

My promised statement on Rob Tracinski's "Anthemgate" article is ready, but I have decided not to post it publicly. The reactions even to the best public postings have been full of speculation and gossip leading to uninformed and unjust judgments, hostility and attacks even on innocent bystanders, wholesale de-friending, and worse.

Since I don't want to encourage that, I will make my statement available privately to anyone who wishes to know my opinion. Just e-mail me at betsy@speicher.com and ask for my Anthemgate statement.