Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
A N Other

The Argument from the Founding Fathers

2 posts in this topic

I have a complaint/observation; it bears a family resemblence to last year's rant on free speech for corporations. In discussing the court decision in Detroit in favor of "Obamacare", Frank Beckman on WJR quoted Jefferson, Madison and Hamilton on the Commerce Clause and other related commentary. That's good, in and of itself. But there are far too few discussions in public commentary on what we would call the philisophical foundations of of "The Founders" work on behalf of the future of man. Simple mention of the Founders, in the fashion in which people appeal to God in other contexts is not enough. It concerns me that there is little discussion on Beckman, Limbaugh, Hannity et al, of the foundations of principal, of why the ideas put forth by the Founders are eternal, are as good today as they were in 1776.

Appeal to Jefferson by itself, in public discourse, leaves one open to others to say "well, Jefferson owned slaves and screwed Sally Hemmings, so why listen to him?"

Later the same day Limbaugh took a couple of calls from listeners who heard an earlier discussion on the basics of free enterprise by him. It seems to me sometimes there is an assumption among some of us that most people understand, somehow, the truths of economic and political freedom. I teach part time at a local "right to try" "college". I can assure you, many young people are simply ignorant. Why anyone cares to try in public discourse is his own business; for those who do, I urge basic, fundamental analysis.

The Progressives argue we have to buy off the lower classes to prevent violence. I think they - the lower classes - know better. As Jesse Jackson - yes - said in his 1988 speech at the Democratic convention, many of them work every day; at a subconscious level they get it; like the people who cheered at Roark's and Readrdon's speeches.

If...IF...anyone cares at that level, he needs to deliver in public discourse what's needed now; plain smart talk everyone can understand.

By the way, listen to that speech and its discussion of those who parked your car last night and who put the chocolate on your pillow when they turned your bed down...they're on your side, many of them.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0