If we must have hybrids . . .

12 posts in this topic

Behold Jaguar's turbine-electric hybrid:

car_photo_397213_25.jpg

car_photo_397210_25.jpg

car_photo_397192_25.jpg

car_photo_397207_25.jpg

car_photo_397204_25.jpg

‘Designed as a range-extended electric two-seater supercar, it explores the outer limits of both performance and sustainability’, says Jaguar. The performance aspect is taken care of quite nicely by a 968bhp maximum power output, while the ability to go zero emissions in electric mode (for 68 miles) and recharge the batteries with efficient micro gas turbines caters for the sustainability aspect. Average CO2 emissions of 28g/km are also particularly startling.

That power figure is twinned with 1180lb ft of torque, and apparently helps hustle the 1350kg C-X75 to 62mph in 3.4sec and to 100mph in a staggering 5.5sec, while the quarter-mile sprint is rattled off in 10.3sec. Top speed is 205mph.

evo

Behold Jaguar's turbine-electric hybrid: [...]

Thanks for the EVO link.

Beautiful. Unbelievable torque. Weight -3,000lbs. Quiet. Vectored 4WD power.

Inventor

Nice!

You only say that because you're a fan of the XJ220!

:)

Jaguar-XJ220-1.jpg

That I do, and there's a clear (to me) inheritance between the two.

That I do, and there's a clear (to me) inheritance between the two.

They've acknowledged the influence, Joss. Even if they hadn't, it's as plain as anything.

Leno's one off, jet-powered sports car cranks out 200hp at idle. That means his transmission and brakes have to cope with that much power every time the car stops.

You just can't go wrong with a Jaguar!! Stunning.

BTW, while Jag is building three copies of the car in the OP, the project has been cancelled due to global economic realities and Emissions issues. The three will be powered by a 500hp, crazy torque, dual-charged (supercharger and turbocharger) 1.6-liter ICE by Williams Racing, with motorcycle levels of rpm, augmented by an electic system that's similar to the one found in the original concept. They're estimating ~800hp and more torque than the very best of today's street tires can handle. (These ICEs were supposed to power the next generation F1 racers, but Ferrari and others insisted on a minimum of six cylinders for the next formula. Hopefully some of the tech developed for this engine will trickle down to the ever-shrinking engines we're seeing in daily drivers.)

I once saw one parked. It's HUGE. In particular, it's very wide. It's hard to see on pics and movies because the proportions are so different from other cars.