Paul's Here

Craig Biddle on "Justice for John P. McCaskey"

17 posts in this topic

Craig Biddle, pulisher of The Objective Standard, has published his thoughts on the resignation of McCaskey. Read it here.

This is an excellent article. I congratulate Biddle on his honesty and sense of justice.

I share the sentiment. Actions of people like Mr. Biddle fill me up with optimism about the future.

This is an excellent article. I congratulate Biddle on his honesty and sense of justice.

I also agree. A beautifully considered, beautifully written statement. As dismaying as it may be, I am also in full agreement with Mr. Biddle's assessment of the situation.

After reading this, I am very impressed with Craig Biddle. Not only did he present a carefully reasoned assessment of the facts, but it shows Craig to be a person of significant moral stature.

A real test of virtue is whether someone is honest, just, and acts with integrity when it is difficult to do so. In this case, Craig could have avoided judging altogether and not have to have come to the painful conclusion that at least one of the people he respected was wrong. He might also have kept his opinion to himself and not exposed himself to the public criticism of, and strained relationships with, people he valued. I don't see any reason for Craig to have gone public at all except that he wanted to prevent an injustice to an innocent man. Thus, Craig showed that he could not only think clearly and come to a rational conclusion, but that he is a man of justice and integrity

After reading this, I am very impressed with Craig Biddle. Not only did he present a carefully reasoned assessment of the facts, but it shows Craig to be a person of significant moral stature.

A real test of virtue is whether someone is honest, just, and acts with integrity when it is difficult to do so. In this case, Craig could have avoided judging altogether and not have to have come to the painful conclusion that at least one of the people he respected was wrong. He might also have kept his opinion to himself and not exposed himself to the public criticism of, and strained relationships with, people he valued. I don't see any reason for Craig to have gone public at all except that he wanted to prevent an injustice to an innocent man. Thus, Craig showed that he could not only think clearly and come to a rational conclusion, but that he is a man of justice and integrity

I agree completely with you, Betsy.

Well said, Betsy.

As an addendum, I have also been impressed with Dr. McCaskey who, I believe, has comported himself honorably and with a grace and dignity that are decidedly at odds with the sketch of his character in Dr. Peikoff's communication.

If something good comes of this issue, it is that we discover the character and quality of individuals who have responded in public. I re-upped my subscription to TOS on reading Craig Biddle's essay. I concur with Betsy that it raises Craig in my esteem that he had the courage to trust his own independent judgement and to report publicly on the results of that judgement. Good for him.

If something good comes of this issue, it is that we discover the character and quality of individuals who have responded in public. I re-upped my subscription to TOS on reading Craig Biddle's essay. I concur with Betsy that it raises Craig in my esteem that he had the courage to trust his own independent judgement and to report publicly on the results of that judgement. Good for him.

Your first point is good and I agree with your admiration for Mr. Biddle.

As far as I can tell, the established objectivist movement has historically had a tendency to ascribe dishonestly and moral blame to what is simply honest intellectual disagreement. This tendency has been one of the things that prevented me from looking seriously at the ideas in the past. It's stuff like Biddle's piece though, and Tracinski's, that reassure me about the movement's intellectual honesty and prospective future, because they show that this trend to classify disagreement and criticism as proof of immorality is fading from the movement and I think that has been one of the most serious things holding the ideas back from acceptance in the popular culture.

As far as I can tell, the established objectivist movement has historically had a tendency to ascribe dishonestly and moral blame to what is simply honest intellectual disagreement.

I have been involved as an Objectivist activist since before the Branden split, and I couldn't disagree more. There is not, and never has been, an "established Objectivist movement."

There have been Objectivist individuals and organizations. The individuals have always differed a great deal among themselves as to their understanding of Objectivism and their basic rationality and decency. Objectivism attracts all kinds of people for all kinds of reasons, not always good reasons. As for the organizations, they are made up of the very same individuals. This can -- and has -- ed to disagreements among themselves and with other Objectivist individuals and organizations over the years.

The way to deal with this situation successfully is to avoid false collectivist notions like "the established Objectivist movement" and to determine the facts, judge people as individuals, and act accordingly.

From Biddle's Facebook account:

I regret to announce that because of my recent statement "Justice for John P. McCaskey," the Ayn Rand Institute has cancelled my ARI-sponsored speaking engagements in the coming weeks. These include scheduled lectures at Kansas State U, U of Michigan, U of Minnesota, U of Wisconsin-Madison, and U of California-Irvine. I'm sorry that ARI has cancelled these events, and I hope to reschedule them in the near future.

I regret to announce that because of my recent statement "Justice for John P. McCaskey," the Ayn Rand Institute has cancelled my ARI-sponsored speaking engagements in the coming weeks. These include scheduled lectures at Kansas State U, U of Michigan, U of Minnesota, U of Wisconsin-Madison, and U of California-Irvine. I'm sorry that ARI has cancelled these events, and I hope to reschedule them in the near future.

This is a sad situation. But, I find it hard to imagine that Craig Biddle thought he could take sides and not expect consequences.

This is becoming quite ridiculous.

I have deleted several posts because they diagnosed or condemned Dr. Peikoff, ARI board members, and Objectivists in general based on speculations regarding their motives. Psychologizing and "mind-reading" are against THE FORUM's Rules and Guidelines.

We should judge people based on the demonstrable facts of what they have actually said and done and not try to be mind-readers. For a good example of how to judge factually and properly, see Craig Biddle's statement which is the subject of this thread.

Craig has posted some additional information at his website http://craigbiddle.com.

Answers to Questions about “Justice for John P. McCaskey”

Because I have received many inquires about my statement regarding McCaskey, I’d like to answer some of the recurring questions here for the benefit of those who may also be curious about these issues but have refrained from inquiring. I may post additional questions and answers in the future. —Craig Biddle