Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Paul's Here

An Objectivist art tour makes the local papers

4 posts in this topic

Rand in D.C.

Luc Travers is an Objectivist art critic—an Objectivist art critic who leads $30 art-appreciation tours for other Objectivists (sometimes non-Objectivists, too). You’d think he’d hate the Norman Rockwell exhibit currently on view at the Smithsonian American Art Museum—not for snobby reasons, but on principle.

“I love Norman Rockwell,” says Travers, who is half-French, green-eyed, soft-spoken, and almost 31 years old.

-------

To Objectivists, art has a moral dimension. Art should show scenes of greatness—it should be uplifting, and present a slice of the world as it would be at its best. It should highlight and reinforce fundamental values. Forget abstract art, or art showing decay or darkness.

I wonder who forced that writer to write that article. The entire thing feels like somebody forced to eat stale meat at gunpoint. The fury in the writer can be felt particularly in "Objectivists believe pollution represents human achievement".

I wonder who forced that writer to write that article. The entire thing feels like somebody forced to eat stale meat at gunpoint. The fury in the writer can be felt particularly in "Objectivists believe pollution represents human achievement".

Indeed, and I also object to this: "Forget abstract art, or art showing decay or darkness."

Or at least the second part. It is fine to show a dystopian theme as long as you put it in a giant if-then statement, as in "if you do/don't do this, bad things will happen". Decay and darkness as given and inevitable, however, betray a malicious sense of life.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0