Betsy Speicher

Night

Rate this book   1 vote

1. 1. Rate this book

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 posts in this topic

I did not read this book because it was on "Oprah's book club" list. As a matter of fact, I do not watch Oprah's show. I read this book because one of my clients brought me their edition which was printed in 1989 and asked me if I would read it and let her know my thoughts. This lean book which is just over one-hundred pages and only took a few hours to read is, I think, well worth reading. Elie Wiesel's account of the holocaust begins in 1941 when he is just 12 years old. And Elie Wiesel's account ends in 1945 after he has survived Birkenau, Auschwitz, Buna and Buchenwald.

Good authors (no matter their subject) can make a reader feel like they are part of their story and Elie Wiesel does a very good job of doing that as his descriptions are unpleasant and shocking. For those that have read The Black Book of Communism: Crimes, Terror, Repression, as I have, there will be little that might remain as unpleasant and shocking as the almost eight-hundred pages are filled with those types of descriptions. But when one considers the author's age and what he went through over the time span of this book I think Elie Wiesel does a very good job of creating certain feelings.

So, why should someone read this book, especially an Objectivist? I think that most can find inspiration in looking at the misery that was forced upon this young boy and that he survived. I also think that the book can incite it's readers to stand up and fight before it becomes to late and we allow similar things to happen.