Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Capitalism Forever

US bans printer cartridges from passenger planes

7 posts in this topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11713958

The US has extended an air cargo ban to cover Somalia as well as Yemen and banned ink and toner cartridges from passenger flights, in the wake of last month's failed bomb plot.

It's almost as if they're trying to do us a favor by giving American voters a crystal clear demonstration of the meaning of "concrete-bound," and why people with that mentality should never be elected into office.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11713958
The US has extended an air cargo ban to cover Somalia as well as Yemen and banned ink and toner cartridges from passenger flights, in the wake of last month's failed bomb plot.

It's almost as if they're trying to do us a favor by giving American voters a crystal clear demonstration of the meaning of "concrete-bound," and why people with that mentality should never be elected into office.

Earthquake insurance premiums in Japan always go up after an earthquake.

I also question the need for a cargo ban to Somalia. We send ships there all the time (Lloyd's refuses to insure ships near Somalia, btw). When they get captured, we phone our buyer and the ship magically gets given back within 20 minutes. The state should stop assuming all its citizens and companies are absolute idiots. Dealing with emerging markets is not easy but entrepreneurs always find a way round problems, to preserve their capital. Those that do not ought to lose it. It's called market mechanisms.

Islam keeps truncating our freedom, step by step. Eventually it'll be strip searches and cavity searches before entering any public building.

When will we finally decently fight back? When will we finally take it out on Muslim hide? :D

Unfortunately, whilst we did consider it, it is difficult (and especially for our competitors in the oil business) to hire a militia/mercenaries to defend your ship. All it takes is a $3k rocket launcher for you to lose a $100m ship and 35 crew, not to mention the dangers inherent to an oil spill or other interesting cargo (admittedly, you are insured but it is still highly unpleasant).

There are two solutions:

- patrol every 20 square miles of Indian Ocean with warships (I'll let you estimate the cost)

- bomb the Somalian coast back to the dark ages.

I liked Jefferson's approach to similar problems with the Barbary Pirates, although he eventually did pay for peace.

Or let the mercenaries be mercenaries - why don't the shipping companies create a fund that would pay a bounty for every Somali pirate ship documentably sunk?

All it takes is a $3k rocket launcher for you to lose a $100m ship and 35 crew

Are the ships that vulnerable to handheld weapons? I would've thought the hull, even if breached, wouldn't be sufficiently damaged by an RPG blast to sink the ship.

All it takes is a $3k rocket launcher for you to lose a $100m ship and 35 crew

Are the ships that vulnerable to handheld weapons? I would've thought the hull, even if breached, wouldn't be sufficiently damaged by an RPG blast to sink the ship.

Most commercial ships are basically a shoebox with an engine attached. Why bother building something stronger? That can hold a 15m wave storm. That's enough. In the event of a 100-year storm, you jump the crew out onto fast release lifeboats and you pass on the loss to your insurer.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0