Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TexasTeacherMom

"Playmates"

5 posts in this topic

I have started a blog to publish my personal writings. My goals are to develop my writing skills, continue my search for understanding through analysis of my life experiences, and find friends with similar views. I would like to invite forum members to follow my blog, or stop by to read once in a while. I'd love to hear your comments.

http://theballofwax.blogspot.com/

I have started a blog to publish my personal writings. My goals are to develop my writing skills, continue my search for understanding through analysis of my life experiences, and find friends with similar views. I would like to invite forum members to follow my blog, or stop by to read once in a while. I'd love to hear your comments.

http://theballofwax.blogspot.com/

Thanks for posting, TTM. I thought that was quite well written---what you observed and what you felt and thought. I didn't like the dark color for the lyrics; it became a strain to try and read them, so I didn't. But, you've made a good start.

It's good to see someone who cares to search for the correct view of the facts. Well done. :D

I remember the first time I encountered someone of a different race as a child. I was about 7, and my mother, sister and I lived in an apartment complex. Obviously some other parents lived there with children our age, and we played with a few of them regularly, a few of them more sporadically. One day a group of us got together and played tag (at least, I think it was tag). One of the girls there was black, and I remember being a little confused at it, though I don't remember being confused enough to give any outward sign. I thought about it for a bit as we played, and finally I concluded that she didn't act any differently from anyone else, so the difference must not matter that much. I obviously hadn't seen her before that day, and I don't think I ever saw her after it, either. I don't remember race ever being an issue with myself or my parents, and I never really knew it was an issue with anyone until I got to school and started learning about things like slavery and the civil rights movement. Probably one of the reasons I find race politics so incredibly frustrating, since I have no memory of ever personally witnessing racial tensions amongst individuals, but oh well.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0