Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnRgt

Lexus LFA vs Ferrari 599 HGTE

21 posts in this topic

These minor quibbles aside, the LFA is an amazing car—and an amazing achievement. Out of the box, Toyota’s first supercar beats a Ferrari. Yeah, you read that correctly. If Toyota put the same soul and passion into the rest of its cars, the company would be unbeatable.

Car&Driver

Cool car but not a very inspired design, IMHO.

I saw it in person the last time the auto show was in town. I'm a whore for gutsy, disciplined design choices, so I quickly fell in love with the car. Its presence made perfect sense to me (good thing I was wearing a long coat.) It's not a radically different design, but it's up there with tAstons and Ferraris with similar chassis arrangements and power. Besides, the engine alone deserves serious exception-making. The incredibly tasteful, elegant interior is the cherry on top of a one off Fauchon cake.

I saw it in person the last time the auto show was in town. I'm a whore for gutsy, disciplined design choices, so I quickly fell in love with the car. Its presence made perfect sense to me (good thing I was wearing a long coat.) It's not a radically different design, but it's up there with tAstons and Ferraris with similar chassis arrangements and power. Besides, the engine alone deserves serious exception-making. The incredibly tasteful, elegant interior is the cherry on top of a one off Fauchon cake.

You are such a cheap "man whore!" :D

I love the meticulous engineering and all the thought they put into this car. The sound of that engine is just amazing(who doesn't love small, high-revving V10's?), and the handling makes the car look like it dances through the corners. Such a great car, but I just cannot agree that it's up there with Ferrari's - design-wise. Take the new 458 for instance; I think it's more lovely to look at than i'd imagine a nude Scarlett Johansson in an artistic pose...

29vlz85.jpg

Such a great car, but I just cannot agree that it's up there with Ferrari's - design-wise. Take the new 458 for instance; I think it's more lovely to look at than i'd imagine a nude Scarlett Johansson in an artistic pose...

The 458 is a beautiful car, perhaps the most beautiful mid-Ferrari of the safety regulations era. But I'm comparing the LFA to its natural Ferrari rivals: 599, 612, 550, 575, 450, etc. I don't see how the LFA isn't right up there with either these cars or any one of the models in Aston's current range.

(Aside: it was Honda that pushed Ferrari and other supercar marques to end their reliability and ergonomics nonsense with the still dynamically great NSX. It seems that the Japanese know they need to be substantially better just to be taken half-seriously at this level of the automotive hierarchy.)

Like you're any better in this context.

(No emoticons.)

Like you're any better in this context.

(No emoticons.)

I am not and that is why I had to write it and use the tongue hanging out emoticon.

Frankly, I'm not a huge fan of the new Lexus, mainly because of the styling. Plus (and I'm sure I'll take heat for this), the Nissan GT-R is just so much cheaper for comparable performance and styling. Yeah, the LFA beat it by 3 second around the Nürburgring, but the LFA costs almost $300,000 more! The price issue is obviously true of Ferrari too, but they look so much better that it may be justified. Just my $.02.

Ferraris are almost always drop dead gorgeous. However, the HGTE seems to be surprised at the affrontery (sp?) of a Japanese challenge:

post-244-1289811568.jpg

In the meantime, the LFA seems to be thinking of having Italian for lunch:

post-244-1289811667.jpg

When I get my next raise, I'll probably go with the Ferrari.

Yes, to me the LFA is not only less beautiful than a Ferrari, it simply isn't pretty at all. It looks like a street racer from "The Fast and the Furious"...

I even like the Audi R8 better...

Such a great car, but I just cannot agree that it's up there with Ferrari's - design-wise. Take the new 458 for instance; I think it's more lovely to look at than i'd imagine a nude Scarlett Johansson in an artistic pose...

The 458 is a beautiful car, perhaps the most beautiful mid-Ferrari of the safety regulations era. But I'm comparing the LFA to its natural Ferrari rivals: 599, 612, 550, 575, 450, etc. I don't see how the LFA isn't right up there with either these cars or any one of the models in Aston's current range.

(Aside: it was Honda that pushed Ferrari and other supercar marques to end their reliability and ergonomics nonsense with the still dynamically great NSX. It seems that the Japanese know they need to be substantially better just to be taken half-seriously at this level of the automotive hierarchy.)

You got a point there, I tend to only think of the beautiful ones as Ferrari's(599 and 450 included, haven't yet decided on the 612). ;)

I find the Aston Martin's completely gorgeous as well.

I think my beef with the Lexus is that it looks a little bit like a styled Supra. Though a very competent "styling" I must say, as it all makes sense(this is important to point out, as I by no means wish to make a deadly insult against the designer(s)).

I agree that the Japanese deserve credit for building great cars. They are always meticulously engineered, reliable(a word that does not exist in the Italian vocabulary) and give a lot of "bang for the buck".

599:

ferrari-599-side-14-10-07.jpg

C6 ZR1 Vette:

2009-Chevrolet-Corvette-ZR1-Photo-Gallery-2-E-640.jpeg

Ferrari 550:

Ferrari_550_maranello_cote.jpg

Ferrari 612:

black-ferrari-612-scagliett.jpg

Aston Vantage:

aston-martin-vantage-amv8.jpg

LFA:

lexus-lfa.jpg

The idea is the same in all of them: large engine up front, transmission hung over the rear axle, two seats and something like a storage bin. I see radical differences given these limiations, but not enough for any one of them to be either radically worse or better than any of the others in the broader context.

The LFA does look a lot like the last Supra in pics, less so in person. The other thing to remember is that Lexus stylists decided to stress the one thing carbon can do that metal can't: give razor-sharp creases.

It sure looks better from the side than the front...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0