rozum

burqa

3 posts in this topic

In one of his newest podcasts (see peikoff.com), Dr. Peikoff voices support for France's recent ban of burqas in public places. He does this on the grounds that any public manifestation of Islam could possibly be construed as aiding and abetting Islamic terrorism. I am not sure I agree with his approach on the grounds that wearing an article of clothing doesn't directly infringe upon someone else's rights. Even if merely wearing an article of clothing could be considered aiding and abetting the enemy, the state shouldn't be in the business of using force against people without objective evidence of some objective crime. Are there any thoughts on this?

In one of his newest podcasts (see peikoff.com), Dr. Peikoff voices support for France's recent ban of burqas in public places. He does this on the grounds that any public manifestation of Islam could possibly be construed as aiding and abetting Islamic terrorism. I am not sure I agree with his approach on the grounds that wearing an article of clothing doesn't directly infringe upon someone else's rights. Even if merely wearing an article of clothing could be considered aiding and abetting the enemy, the state shouldn't be in the business of using force against people without objective evidence of some objective crime. Are there any thoughts on this?

A government's only proper function is using retaliatory force against those who violate rights by force or threats of force. The only grounds for banning burqas would be if one could prove that wearing a burqa constituted a threat of force and that might be possible. If we are in a declared war with an enemy that uses suicide bombers concealing explosives in burqas, the government might be able to make a case for reasonable searches of women in burqas, but the need for an outright ban might be hard to prove.

I view it mainly as a security issue taken by governments that fail to take effective action against terrorists.

When Abdul Azziz and his cohorts assassinated the Turkish Governor at Nedj to reestablish Saudi rule, they were dressed as women.

A couple years ago when the Red Mosque in Pakistan was seized, the terrorists were dressed as women both when they attacked and when they attempted to escape.

As I said in my video "Muslim Transvestites and the Veil", Muslim men like to wear dresses and they get violent when they do so; therefore, Western countries can be justified in restrictions upon cultural dress that offers disguises to facilitate such violence.

However, in context, I don't think that we are at a point in this country that would justify that such a policy.