Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grey

Regulations and food

6 posts in this topic

I hadn't realized the Food Safety Act was still alive. I thought it had gone the way of NAIS. Although now I wouldn't be surprised to find that that was still alive and kicking.

If you haven't heard anything about this, take a look at this overview: http://www.americanthinker.com/2010/11/fir...t_the_food.html

It'll be a worse effect than the health care bill. It will kill small farms and the "family" farm, and we'll see the same thing that is happening with ObamaCare happen with this - those large entities, corporations, and lobby groups will turn around and ask for exemptions for themselves leaving small and new business to be hampered by the strangle hold of regulation while they are free to operate outside of it.

And this is what it will lead to. More and more of this:

I prefer my milk and cheese pasteurized, but I will support these folks' right to make their own choices on what to eat.

Have you ever read the book Everything I Want To Do Is Illegal: War Stories From the Local Food Front? I have not read the whole book as of yet, but from the little glimpses I have taken it seems to give a good overview of what you mention.

http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Want-Do-I...s/dp/0963810952

Funny you should mention that. I just finished it and had posted about here. Fabulous book. I don't have anything to do with agriculture. I can barely keep the plants in my office alive. But I want a good, healthy, thriving set of options for my food. What I have seen in terms of regulations is nothing compared to this fellow. An excellent book, and I'm certain he's not unique. I'm certain there's a lot more stories like his.

Have you ever read the book Everything I Want To Do Is Illegal: War Stories From the Local Food Front? I have not read the whole book as of yet, but from the little glimpses I have taken it seems to give a good overview of what you mention.

http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Want-Do-I...s/dp/0963810952

After reading this book I would like to add to my earlier statements. In general the author gives much more than a passing glimpse into his field and it is like most others today, filled with an immense amount of regulations. Unfortunately the book is also filled with irrational assumptions about certain types of food and what makes a culture great. So, if one wants to get an immense amount of facts about government regulations in the agricultural field and it's consequences then this is a very insighful book, but not much more.

Never fell ill from eating raw milk and cheese which is pretty common on both sides of the border here (France and Switzerland). You haven't eaten cheese until you've had a nice ripe reblochon made from "lait cru" :D

Soon we will be regulated for breathing rates and breadth (it's selfish to draw other people's air after all)...

Never fell ill from eating raw milk and cheese which is pretty common on both sides of the border here (France and Switzerland). You haven't eaten cheese until you've had a nice ripe reblochon made from "lait cru" :D

Soon we will be regulated for breathing rates and breadth (it's selfish to draw other people's air after all)...

The rate of incidence is low but the consequences can be life threatening.

Still, it should be a choice. So long as the cheese is marked as raw and the aging time clearly stated, the manufacturer has met all obligations. (Raw cheeses aged more than 60 days aren't a problem. It's cheeses that are younger than that - say, real camemberts, which are only aged for about 14-25 days - that are the issue.)

Many American micro-dairies are ignoring raw milk regulations. I'd bet EU concerns will do the same when dairy regulations are homogenized (couldn't help it . . .)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0