Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
free spirit

Explorers' premise

2 posts in this topic

Dear Dr. Bernstein,

A friend and I were talking about experiences in life, and integrating principles into action.

He brought up a premise from a lecture you gave some time ago ( please correct me if I am wrong) called the "explorers premise".

This I believe consists of exposing yourself to new and a wide variety of (rational) experiences, so you have a much bigger context in which to integrate your principles from.

I am very interested in learning about this premise, because I find that I understand the principles I am learning better, when I have more experiences to draw upon to concretize it.

Can you please explain this premise to me? Thank you very, very much.

~Carrie~

This is Andrew Bernstein's reply to the question posed by free spirit.

The "Explorer's Premise" is discussed in depth in my tape course, "How to be an Impassioned Valuer"--and I strongly recommend you listen to it. Ayn Rand brilliantly illustrtates the principle in Atlas Shrugged in Francisco's childhood scenes.

The context is: explaining the essence of a value-intoxicated personality," i.e., one who burns with passion for living. Such a personality invariably exhibits a pro-active eagerness to experience and study the observational realm. He may love libraries, books and abstractions--but does not confine himself to them. He's fascinated by the realm of particulars, understands that abstractions are embodied exclusively in them, and seeks to experience that realm to the fullest. He is an observation-based explorer and thinker--the opposite of an ivory-towered type.

Beyond this, I can't go in a short response and strongly refer you to "How to be an Impassioned Valuer."

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0