Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Laars

A summary of the Roman history.

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm searching for a summary of the total Roman history. There are many ones for sale, but I don't know which is the right one to buy. I was wondering if any of you have recommendations for a particular book?

Thanks in advance,

Laars

Hi,

I'm searching for a summary of the total Roman history. There are many ones for sale, but I don't know which is the right one to buy. I was wondering if any of you have recommendations for a particular book?

Thanks in advance,

Laars

At least for the end, I understand Gibbon to be one of the best works on this. I just received all 6 volumes as a gift and will have to find the time now to read them. http://www.amazon.com/Decline-Fall-Roman-E...s/dp/0679423087

I don't know my Roman history as well as I would like, but the writings we read in Latin were an excellent basis for understanding events, the general arch, and perspectives. We read quite a bit of Livy, and that seems a good place to start.

I'm by no means the most educated in this area or an expert. I didn't want your question to linger too long without some response. Perhaps somebody can improve on my answer, though.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0