David_Hayes

Atlas Shrugged Video Contest

6 posts in this topic

The Atlas Shrugged Video Contest has been collecting entries for some time now; the deadline for entering passed December 8. Votes from the public (which results in a different prize than the decisions of the contest organizers' chosen judges) are ongoing, and will continue until December 22 -- just days away.

I've viewed at all the entries on the site, and have prepared a guide to narrow viewing by Objectivists who are daunted by the high number of entries, distressed by seeing some unworthy entries, but who nonetheless want the most votes to go to entries that accurately convey what "Atlas Shrugged" is about, and which conveys that message in a skilled, coherent way.

My remarks -- prepared for another forum, but presumably of value here -- are posted at:

http://www.dhwritings.com/temp/VideoContest.html

Despite the length of the remarks, I don't mean for them to be taken as the final word, and I encourage those who disagree or who want to supplement my remarks to add responses here.

Nonetheless, there is a risk at present that the most votes will go to an entry that doesn't deserve to win, an entry from someone who managed to get friends to pump up the vote total. It would be better if that didn't happen.

Nonetheless, there is a risk at present that the most votes will go to an entry that doesn't deserve to win, an entry from someone who managed to get friends to pump up the vote total. It would be better if that didn't happen.

ARI should pay exactly zero attention to voting for any of the entries, and it should certainly not award any money based on them - if for no other reason than the fact that internet voting systems are ridiculously easy to game, though I think the fundamental reason is that popularity should not be the criteria for judging an entry.

ARI should pay exactly zero attention to voting for any of the entries, and it should certainly not award any money based on them - if for no other reason than the fact that internet voting systems are ridiculously easy to game, though I think the fundamental reason is that popularity should not be the criteria for judging an entry.

As I understand it, the most popular entry will win a prize but that ARI will use the entries which they think best serves their purpose. In that sense, it is a lot like the essay contests in that the primary goal is to give people an incentive for reading and thinking about Atlas Shrugged. If they also get some good videos out of it that they can use to promote the book, so much the better.

The winning video is excellent! I'm going to send it to many friends.

Yes it is very good, but am I the only one who finds the ideas coming a too fast a pace? I am familiar with what is being said, but one still needs pauses to reflect on the information. True there is a limited time to get the ideas over, but sometimes less is more. Less information gives one more time to absorb what remains.