Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnRgt

"The Mog" takes another step backwards

6 posts in this topic

MOGADISHU, Somalia – Somalis say Islamist insurgents have banned unrelated men and women from shaking hands, speaking or walking together.
The insurgents have already banned women from working in public, leaving many families completely destitute.

AP Link

I think we need to send more aid, diplomats and forces regulated to impotence over there. Maybe a cultural exchange program would help, too.

I think we need to send more aid, diplomats and forces regulated to impotence over there. Maybe a cultural exchange program would help, too.

As Washington's reward for "Black Hawk Down" and Somali piracy?

And the anarcho-libertarians were pointing to Somalia as an example of a free market heaven due to its lack of state...

And the anarcho-libertarians were pointing to Somalia as an example of a free market heaven due to its lack of state...

So were the ever-sarcastic Leftists. Then again, I don't think I've ever seen an honest, informed (as in actually having read Ayn Rand) criticism of Objectivism's position on laissez-faire Capitalism. They love straw men.

Speaking of the "free market" in Somalia, did you know that the Somali pirates have their own stock market?

http://opinion-forum.com/index/2009/12/funny-money/

No, I don't call it a free market (except as a joke). And no, I don't think it's really good in any objective sense. I just thought the idea of a functioning stock market where the main investment was in pirate ships was pretty amusing.

Less amusing when your ransom for the ship's crew goes up from 1m to 3m USD because some Korean idiots paid 7m as happened a few weeks ago.

The simple solution is an air raid by a combined force. Pretty much every country is affected, and they spread out to the entire Indian Ocean now. A large scale bombing raid would solve the problem for a few years. The Chinese will probably do it before us.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0