Mac

Art or Illustration?

4 posts in this topic

kira_4_ayn_rand_fans.png

I show this work on deviantArt http://hank1.deviantart.com/#/d38p3uv with quotes from Ayn Rand's We the Living. I do this for Objectivists to show how closely I follow--and how I deviate from--Ayn Rand's written words. And for non-Objectivists to hopefully get them to read Ayn Rand.

"With no comparison of professional stature intended", consider Durer's "Adam and Eve":

Adam_Eva,_Durer,_1504.jpg

See the biblical account here: Bible.

Does Durer's following--and his deviation from--the scripture in his work make it an illustration? Or does it stand on its own as a work of fine art?

By "deviate" I mean "to include and/or omit elements in his picture, limited only by the imagination of the artist and the kinds of things in the world that have personal meaning to him".

Question: is my "We the Living" Fine Art or Illustration?

Robert, I would classify it as illustration, because otherwise I would have no idea what this woman is doing out in a wedding dress in the snow, at night, close to a barb-wired fence. To compare it to one of your other paintings--The Jets--I don't need a title for that. It stands totally by itself. But, your illustration possesses great beauty; it is a very artistic illustration.

Robert, I would classify it as illustration, because otherwise I would have no idea what this woman is doing out in a wedding dress in the snow, at night, close to a barb-wired fence. To compare it to one of your other paintings--The Jets--I don't need a title for that. It stands totally by itself. But, your illustration possesses great beauty; it is a very artistic illustration.

Suppose the title were "The Escape". It is somewhat of a self-portrait. There is no barbed wire in the novel. I took that from a photo of me. The first time I was shot at in Vietnam my squad was frantic to escape and evade. This was at 2300 hours, running through the jungle to find an extraction area. Our position had been compromised and that's what we did. But we did get out.

Suppose the title were "The Escape". It is somewhat of a self-portrait. There is no barbed wire in the novel. I took that from a photo of me. The first time I was shot at in Vietnam my squad was frantic to escape and evade. This was at 2300 hours, running through the jungle to find an extraction area. Our position had been compromised and that's what we did. But we did get out.

If it were "The Escaped" it would be pretty much of a mystery, though that would be okay. However, I would probably be thinking that it was an illustration for something or other.