Paul's Here

e Readers - Which is the "best" one?

32 posts in this topic

What's really cool is that I can send highlighted passages to Facebook.

Which I see you have done with Ben Franklin's autobiography.

Yes. He was quite a guy. I think he helped define the American spirit.

I grew up in Philadelphia and he was everywhere from the Free Library of Philadelphia, which he founded to the University of Pennsylvania I attended, which he also founded. He has always been a personal hero of mine -- businessman, writer, scientist, philosopher, statesman, diplomat, patriot, and bon vivant -- a true American Renaissance Man.

What's really cool is that I can send highlighted passages to Facebook.

Which I see you have done with Ben Franklin's autobiography.

Yes. He was quite a guy. I think he helped define the American spirit.

I grew up in Philadelphia and he was everywhere from the Free Library of Philadelphia, which he founded to the University of Pennsylvania I attended, which he also founded. He has always been a personal hero of mine -- businessman, writer, scientist, philosopher, statesman, diplomat, patriot, and bon vivant -- a true American Renaissance Man.

Yes, and what's amazing is the he had no concept of not being able to do something once he thought something needed being done. He relates how one day he wanted to learn Italian, and after mastering it, he learned Spanish, and after mastering it, he learned German. After learning all three, he realized that it was easier to understand Latin which he had studied as a child.

He was an amazing businessman. He setup printing houses in other cities with trusted people he would sign detailed contract. He'd get 30% of the profits for 6 years, then they buy all of the equipment he gave them to run the business, and they'd own it outright.

He was an amazing businessman. He setup printing houses in other cities with trusted people he would sign detailed contract. He'd get 30% of the profits for 6 years, then they buy all of the equipment he gave them to run the business, and they'd own it outright.

He set up at least one private (for profit?) public library!!!

He set up at least one private (for profit?) public library!!!

I'm not sure if it was for profit, but you had to pay a subscription to belong.

I also have the Kindle 3. Love it.

Being able to take dozens (eventually hundreds) of books with me wherever I go is wonderful.

Biggest drawback for me: illustrations are pretty poorly rendered, and it's only black and white. I imagine a color Kindle is in the works.

If I could do it over, I might get the Nook Color from Barnes and Noble. It's almost more of a tablet than merely an ereader, having a very functional web browser.

Kindle has a web browser but it's almost unusable it's so slow. I never use it.

I'm reading more than ever before because it's so convenient and accessible.

As much as I love my Kindle, I have to say it works much better for linear reading, i.e., for books you read from start to finish in the order they are "printed". It's not an ideal device for browsing or for jumping around. It's also not ideal for reference material. You can jump from key passage to key passage much more quickly on a "real" book.

Parked on the street by NYU's midtown medical facility last night, I noticed a man walking towards me. I had no choice but to notice him as he was holding a hardcover book open in front of his chest, WITH AN LED BOOK LIGHT ON IT!