RayK

Bumper Stickers

14 posts in this topic

In the last couple of days I have seen two different bumper stickers with totally different philosophies. The first one read, "When you vote, vote for the environment." The other one read, "God said BANG, and there you have it".

I drove away from both on my way to work, thinking I would like to create a bumper sticker that states, Beware of stupid ideas and their consequences. But, I have never understood putting a $1 bumper sticker on an expensive car.

On a different note, I did see one not to long ago that I like, it read, "I want what Barbie has, that B(left-out) has everything. I drove away from this one laughing. I want what she has also, and my daughter has a lot of it already.

livelarge.jpg

Custom-made bumper stickers are a good investment, as far as publicizing Objectivism.

I had two bumper stickers made, at a sign shop:

WHO IS JOHN GALT?

Read ATLAS SHRUGGED!

and I'm sure they've been seen by thousands of people.

Custom-made bumper stickers are a good investment, as far as publicizing Objectivism.

Yes, I agree. I also have "WHO IS JOHN GALT?" as a bumper sticker on my car. I also have one that says "Meat is murder," but "murder" is crossed out and above it is written "dinner." (This latter one wasn't custom-made; I just saw it in a store somewhere, and figured my eternally-unchanging dislike of vegetables required me to buy it. Oh, yeah, and it also allows me to loudly proclaim that animals do not have rights. :D)

EARTH FIRST! --We'll stripmine the other planets later.

Yes, I agree.  I also have "WHO IS JOHN GALT?" as a bumper sticker on my car.  I also have one that says "Meat is murder," but "murder" is crossed out and above it is written "dinner."  (This latter one wasn't custom-made; I just saw it in a store somewhere, and figured my eternally-unchanging dislike of vegetables required me to buy it.  Oh, yeah, and it also allows me to loudly proclaim that animals do not have rights. :D)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes! I'm a card-carrying member of PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals.

I printed an "Ayn Rand is my Copilot" sign for my Explorer's rear window. The number of reactions on the road was surprising, and while some reactions were positive, many, many more were negative.

My neighbor approached me, stating that he found the sign offensive and asked me to remove it. After a bit of haggling, I removed it in exchange for his promising to remove his pro-union bumper sticker. He hasn't followed through, so I may soon replace the sign or have it printed as a bumper sticker.

... My neighbor approached me, stating that he found the sign offensive and asked me to remove it...

That's his personal problem. Why not just tell him to deal with it?

... My neighbor approached me, stating that he found the sign offensive and asked me to remove it ...

Or tell him where he could GO !

My neighbor approached me, stating that he found the sign offensive and asked me to remove it. After a bit of haggling, I removed it in exchange for his promising to remove his pro-union bumper sticker. He hasn't followed through, so I may soon replace the sign or have it printed as a bumper sticker.

Ask him to practice tolerance. :D

That's his personal problem. Why not just tell him to deal with it?
I strongly dislike modern labor unions, which are tools for political manipulation and setting labor prices independently of the market. As such, I don't like his van always sitting in front of the building with the pro-union bumper sticker.

I didn't tell him to just deal with it because I liked the deal I made, where he was supposed to remove his pro-union sticker.

Ask him to practice tolerance.  :D
Hell no! If he's not beholden to that particular "virtue," I sure won't be the one to introduce it. :D

I strongly dislike modern labor unions, which are tools for political manipulation and setting labor prices independently of the market.

Not to mention forcing people in certain industries to be members.

I didn't tell him to just deal with it because I liked the deal I made, where he was supposed to remove his pro-union sticker.

That's pretty quick thinking on your part. I'd likely have been pretty ticked if someone had the effrontery to ask me to remove a sign.

Still, you might tell the guy he'd better get used to it, because in ten years there'll probably be a lot more of these kind of signs around.

That's pretty quick thinking on your part.  I'd likely have been pretty ticked if someone had the effrontery to ask me to remove a sign.
I only learned this recently, but I'll pass it on because it's helped me so often:

If you learn to replace offence with laughter, you keep a clearer head and get a lot more done.

Take a case like this one. Rather than being offended by the neighbor's disgust, I felt amused and was able to react as though we were sharing a joke. It disarmed him and left him off balance. Meanwhile, rather than being put on the defensive, it left me in a mind set to turn the joke around and roll it back at him.

This works doubly well with things like Che tee shirts. I used to be silently disgusted. Now I see the shirts and enjoy a deep belly laugh at the wearer's expense. This has lead to interesting discussions with the young would-be-communists, who are left trying to explain why I shouldn't find their choice of communist symbolism - produced, priced and purchased on the free-market and usually under private copyright - amusing. Normally, they'd be the ones telling me that *I'm* the one who doesn't "get it."