piz

Observing Concept-Formation

31 posts in this topic

Today's bit of amazement: Kira was drawing with crayons, and she started rubbing a red crayon on her lips. I said, "Kira! That's not lipstick!" She replied, after a moment, "It kinda lipstick."

A bit less cutified: she can reliably count to ten, and understands quantity enough that she consistently answers "How many?" by counting whatever objects are asked about.

Next up, letters. Right now she thinks they're digits and recites them as numbers. :)

Today's bit of amazement: Kira was drawing with crayons, and she started rubbing a red crayon on her lips. I said, "Kira! That's not lipstick!" She replied, after a moment, "It kinda lipstick."

A bit less cutified: she can reliably count to ten, and understands quantity enough that she consistently answers "How many?" by counting whatever objects are asked about.

Next up, letters. Right now she thinks they're digits and recites them as numbers. :)

Let us know what happens after she gets to "J." ;)

She also understands "alive" and "dead." She saw an ant on the sidewalk and exclaimed, "A ant! Look! It alive!" Then she stomped on it. "I think I kill it."

On a whim, I showed her a picture of a cat in a box and asked, "Is the kitty alive or dead?"

"Yes," she replied. So I think she's a little uncertain about Heisenberg.

(OK, I made up the Heisenberg one. ;))

She also understands "alive" and "dead." She saw an ant on the sidewalk and exclaimed, "A ant! Look! It alive!" Then she stomped on it. "I think I kill it."

On a whim, I showed her a picture of a cat in a box and asked, "Is the kitty alive or dead?"

"Yes," she replied. So I think she's a little uncertain about Heisenberg.

(OK, I made up the Heisenberg one. ;))

Ha. Give it a try. You look first. then have her look to see if it's dead.

Thanks for the neat thread, Piz. I think that part of being a parent would be the most exciting.

According to my mom, I didn't speak (beyond Mommy and Daddy) until I was 3. She even went as far as to take me to a doctor to see if there was something wrong with me. All that changed one morning when I looked at her and said very clearly, "Mom, I don't want oatmeal for breakfast today." She was so stunned she dropped the bowl of oatmeal. :lol:

According to my mom, I didn't speak (beyond Mommy and Daddy) until I was 3. She even went as far as to take me to a doctor to see if there was something wrong with me. All that changed one morning when I looked at her and said very clearly, "Mom, I don't want oatmeal for breakfast today." She was so stunned she dropped the bowl of oatmeal. :lol:

The exact same thing happened with my son. He began talking rather late, but when he finally did, it was in full sentences expressing complex thoughts. He was tested in fifth grade and was found to have the vocabulary of a college freshman.