Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vespasiano

Prokofiev/MacMillan: Romeo and Juliet

4 posts in this topic

As a final "pass" on the various treatments of the Romeo and Juliet story (at least in this week's go-round!), here is my personal favorite: the Balcony Scene from the Sergei Prokofiev/Kenneth MacMillan ballet, Romeo and Juliet. In this wonderful concert performance of the scene, we see ballet greats, Alessandra Ferri and Julio Bocca, both of whom project a vivid sense of youth and discovery in Love.

Enjoy!

I love Alessandra Ferri. I saw her dance Giselle with ABT in '85 (in her prime) when they came to L.A. My friend, an excellent ballerina, dragged me there, but I was blown away by her effortless grace and expressivity. She makes the most difficult things look effortless and dramatically inevitable. A great dancer.

(Correction: The Giselle I saw was in 1988, with Rudolph Nureyev - he was getting old, but still great to have seen two of the greatest dancers of the 20th Century)

(Correction: The Giselle I saw was in 1988, with Rudolph Nureyev - he was getting old, but still great to have seen two of the greatest dancers of the 20th Century)

With no slight intended toward the magnificent Mr. Bocca (who was Miss Ferri's most frequent partner), it would have been fantastic to see Nureyev and Miss Ferri together in Romeo and Juliet -- different generations, however.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0