Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vespasiano

A Musical Valentine

3 posts in this topic

A happy Valentine's Day to everyone on the Forum! Here is a musical Valentine from one of my favorite composers, Sir Granville Bantock. This is his orchestral song cycle for mezzo-soprano entitled Sappho, based upon nine poetic fragments by the great Ancient Greek poet. And what a marvelous performance it is . . . featuring mezzo-soprano Susan Bickley with the Royal Philharmonic, Vernon Handley conducting.

This work is just under one hour in length. For those who may not wish to listen to the complete work, here is the orchestral prelude which gives a good hint of what follows:

Sir Granville Bantock: Prelude to Sappho

And for the complete work:

Sir Granville Bantock: Sappho

For the complete set of texts for the cycle, click HERE.

A happy Valentine's Day to everyone on the Forum! Here is a musical Valentine from one of my favorite composers, Sir Granville Bantock. This is his orchestral song cycle for mezzo-soprano entitled Sappho, based upon nine poetic fragments by the great Ancient Greek poet. And what a marvelous performance it is . . . featuring mezzo-soprano Susan Bickley with the Royal Philharmonic, Vernon Handley conducting.

This work is just under one hour in length. For those who may not wish to listen to the complete work, here is the orchestral prelude which gives a good hint of what follows:

Sir Granville Bantock: Prelude to Sappho

And for the complete work:

Sir Granville Bantock: Sappho

For the complete set of texts for the cycle, click HERE.

Thank you, V. As Mr. Bonner comments, magnificent orchestration. So far, I have listened to just the Prelude. More for later!

Thank you, Vespasiano, as I enjoyed the Prelude very much and look forward to listening to the rest when I have the time.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0