Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vespasiano

George Shearing, 1919-2011

4 posts in this topic

The jazz pianist, George Shearing, has died. Irrespective of genre, Mr. Shearing was one of the greatest musicians of the 20th Century. His extraordinary playing and generous spirit were truly inspiring.

Here is Mr. Shearing in a performance of the song "My Ship", which is a brilliant illustration of so many of the qualities that made him special:

And, if you'd like to hear more, here is a link to a YouTube Playlist I've put together of some of my favorites (including "My Ship").

George Shearing: A Collection

My memory is not exact on the date, but it seems like about ten years ago I was in the small town of Sturgis, MI, where the business dominated city had constructed a nice auditorium and walking by, I saw that George Shearing was appearing there later in the week. I was stunned. I thought Shearing must certainly had passed away long before. I wish I could say I went back later in the week to see him; my travel schedule didn't permit.

It makes me wonder how many other really good people are still out there who aren't in the pop limelight but are still working.

THX.

My memory is not exact on the date, but it seems like about ten years ago I was in the small town of Sturgis, MI, where the business dominated city had constructed a nice auditorium and walking by, I saw that George Shearing was appearing there later in the week. I was stunned. I thought Shearing must certainly had passed away long before. I wish I could say I went back later in the week to see him; my travel schedule didn't permit.

It makes me wonder how many other really good people are still out there who aren't in the pop limelight but are still working.

THX.

It's a shame you didn't get to see and hear Shearing live . . . though recordings can be wonderful, I find live performance is always the best way to hear jazz musicians at their best.

Shearing appears in the Bert Stern "documentary" Jazz on a Summer's Day, a filmed account of the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival. Performances are inetrspersed with footage of the 1958 America's Cup and features lots of wonderful old wood boats.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0