Nate Smith

Evil Thoughts

29 posts in this topic

Ayn Rand appears to say that not-thinking (perhaps thinking irrationally?) is evil, and I take this to equate to evil thought.

You need to expand on this if we're going to get anywhere. How do we go from "not thinking is evil" to not thinking being equated with evil thought?

The quote you offered did not define anything, left no room for dual meaning, did not hint at modernist/eastern synergy of opposites, ie, some sort of dialectic.

If actions can be determined to be good or evil, and thoughts are actions, then thoughts can be good or evil too. I view the process of thinking to be an active process, i.e. an action. Not thinking, like not voting, represents the action of a choice considered; an action (thought) to abstain from acting (doing). I don't think (no pun intended) that I can clarify my position further than this.

If actions can be determined to be good or evil, and thoughts are actions,

Thinking is an action. Thoughts aren't actions -- not in the way you're using the word in the fist part of this sentence.

"Thinking is an action. Thoughts aren't actions" ~ JohnRgt

Activity is activity, so I'll have to disagree with you there, although I get the distinction you're trying to make. Yes, thinking is an action. Thoughts are internal activity, and movements are external activity, and the two are consciously linked...

"The researchers say that in the lab, experimenters wearing an EEG sensor cap are now being trained to move a cursor on a computer screen via thought alone." ~ From Thought To Movement <http://www.sciencefriday.com/segment/03/05/2010/from-thought-to-movement.html>