piz

Becoming a Professional Singer

61 posts in this topic

A riveting story piz - you have a knack for telling stories too it seems :)

Congratulations on your success. May you have many more occasions like this to celebrate in future.

That's very good Piz! A good voice coach can really school you in a proper method to warm up your voice so you won't even be concerned about things like how it is when you wake up vs. when your performance starts. There is a science to it that, when applied, takes some of the worry out of it. Sounds like you've got the bug and the talent. Thanks for sharing your story. Very proud of you and happy for you.

Again, thanks everyone for your help and support (and praise :)).

Good timing on your post, Abaco, because I had two auditions this week. Monday was for the musical version of The Wedding Singer, and Wednesday was for another production of Jesus Christ Superstar. Both shows left me voice mail this afternoon.

At the former, my singing was fine, but I proved something I already knew - I absolutely, beyond any possibility of doubt, have no dance skills whatsoever. That's fine, though, because (a) I know I can learn and (B ) I cared more about learning the audition process than being in that show. They've offered me a part in the ensemble, but I haven't decided if I'm going to take it. I know that for someone starting out in entertainment it's a bad idea to turn down anything, but I'm doing this because I enjoy it, not as a profession. On the other hand, I wasn't the only one there who couldn't dance, and the director and choreographer said that they never turn anyone away for (lack of) dance skills and that they teach non-dancers how to. So I could get free dance lessons out of it, which is no small thing. I'm quite well-coordinated (lots of sports), so I know I can learn.

At the latter, I went to the last of three audition dates. There were five men and about 15 women, all but one man in their twenties or younger. Two of the men were quite good, although I thought I was a bit stronger than either (my voice was as solid as it's ever been that night). I, of course, don't know what talent was at the first two audition days. That show has offered me a role as "one of the priests." I don't know what that means exactly, and I have to find out because on my budget (both are non-paying jobs) I can't accept the hour-long drive twice a day, three or four days a week for rehearsals if I have a one-line solo or less. I called for more info about that.

...They've offered me a part in the ensemble, but I haven't decided if I'm going to take it. I know that for someone starting out in entertainment it's a bad idea to turn down anything, but I'm doing this because I enjoy it, not as a profession. On the other hand, I wasn't the only one there who couldn't dance, and the director and choreographer said that they never turn anyone away for (lack of) dance skills and that they teach non-dancers how to. So I could get free dance lessons out of it, which is no small thing. I'm quite well-coordinated (lots of sports), so I know I can learn.

At the latter, I went to the last of three audition dates. There were five men and about 15 women, all but one man in their twenties or younger. Two of the men were quite good, although I thought I was a bit stronger than either (my voice was as solid as it's ever been that night). I, of course, don't know what talent was at the first two audition days. That show has offered me a role as "one of the priests." I don't know what that means exactly, and I have to find out because on my budget (both are non-paying jobs) I can't accept the hour-long drive twice a day, three or four days a week for rehearsals if I have a one-line solo or less. I called for more info about that.

I know how that is. It's great they liked you in both cases and the decision can be complex. If you want to go the full-on musical theatre route (JC Superstar, a quintessential rock opera, is a non-traditional musical), and if the first company does pay principals and casts from the ensemble, then nailing the choreography and being a good team player could set you up for "moves well" roles and even song-and-dance roles in the future, if that's something you'd like to do. That's advice I'd definitely give a young singer, but you may have to be more picky. The latter doesn't sound like a deal for someone who just came off Judas, unless it were a paying gig, or unless you know they pay their principals well. Otherwise, thanks but no thanks.

That would be my take. You'll audition a lot and get good at it; you don't have to take everything and you need to create who you are as a performer. The advice to "take everything" (as long as it isn't potentially damaging to your voice) is more a propos for a young singer. If it were local and convenient and had great conductor/director/choreographers who you'd like to work for, great. Otherwise, keep getting out there.

Congrats on the good auditions! Keep it up.

LOL - I can't dance, either. I wish I could figure it out. It's horrible. I can jump and run. You'd think I could dance.

I decided not to take either role, for pretty much exactly the reasons alann gave (it's weird how you post things that are already in my head :)). I'll keep on looking for other things, and/or work on getting in or starting a band. I really only want to sing, although I do enjoy acting too.

Meanwhile I'm in a little Renaissance faire again, and that's always fun. Lord William Rosencrantz, an innocent and slightly bumbling nobleman who presides over the local area and is being plotted against by my comically inept son and heir (played by my actual son).

I decided not to take either role, for pretty much exactly the reasons alann gave (it's weird how you post things that are already in my head :)).
I guess I have finally achieved mastery over stating the obvious. :D

Renaissance fairs (faires) are fun. Haven't been to one in a long while, my peasant get-up is lying fallow in my closet.

Meanwhile I'm in a little Renaissance faire again, and that's always fun. Lord William Rosencrantz, an innocent and slightly bumbling nobleman who presides over the local area and is being plotted against by my comically inept son and heir (played by my actual son).

That's sound like a fun thing to do with your son :D

What exactly does being part of a Renaissance faire involve? I'm sorry but I've never been to (or heard of :)) one before.

What exactly does being part of a Renaissance faire involve? I'm sorry but I've never been to (or heard of :)) one before.

It's just what the name implies: An event, typically all day each day over a period of time, where characters dress in Renaissance-style clothing and reenact the period. There are nobles, knights, craftsmen, peasants, gypsies, and pirates. Artisans making and selling period wares. Demonstrations of period weaponry and fighting. Scripted performances as well as roaming performers interacting in character with fairegoers.

This will be my third Ren Faire. I've had all scripted roles, not crowdworrking (however between scenes scripted actors work the crowd as well). Last time I played an actual historical figure, Czar Boris Gudunov of Russia, though the script wasn't intended to have anything resembling historical accuracy. My favorite, though, was my first one, three years ago, where I played the bad guy, an evil advisor trying to overthrow the ruling duke. Playing the bad guy is tons of fun. It was also my first time acting since 1976, and I was surprised to be cast in a major role when I was expecting to be a crowdworker.

If you want to get a feel for a Ren Faire, including the behind the scenes stuff, go to www.allsfaire.tv. It's meant to be a spoof, but it's actually really accurate in its portrayal of "Rennies." I appear here and there as "Ron the Fletcher," and my one line is at the end of Episode the Tenthe, I think. (The sceptre carried by "King Gary" is the walking stick my bad guy character used. :D)

If you want to get a feel for a Ren Faire, including the behind the scenes stuff, go to www.allsfaire.tv. It's meant to be a spoof, but it's actually really accurate in its portrayal of "Rennies." I appear here and there as "Ron the Fletcher," and my one line is at the end of Episode the Tenthe, I think. (The sceptre carried by "King Gary" is the walking stick my bad guy character used. :D)
ROFL!!! :)

Thanks for that, Michael! Really well made mockumentary.