Shrikant Rangnekar

Atlas Shrugged Movie: A Roman Copy of a Greek Original

13 posts in this topic

I saw the New York showing of the Atlas Shrugged Part I movie. The following is a link to my brief review of it.

http://shrikantrangnekar.wordpress.com/201...greek-original/

Thanks, Shrikant, for this interesting take on the Atlas Shrugged film. I'm really looking forward to seeing it next month.

Your analogy with Greek originals and Roman copies to compare cultures and their limited ability to even understand, let alone replicate, prior superior accomplishments is very good.

In this point:

4. This movie does a good job of capturing the political, economics and social aspects of Atlas Shrugged while missing the deeper moral, psychological, epistemological and metaphysical aspects of the novel. As someone who deeply loves Atlas Shrugged, and knows that the heart of Ayn Ran’s achievement is metaphysical, epistemological, psychological and moral, I was left with a sense of emptiness–of seeing something that on the surface looks like Atlas Shrugged, but with something critical missing.

I wonder if that was intended because of the influence of the David Kelley movement's goal to avoid "offending" people not accustomed to Ayn Rand's presentation of her philosophy.

Ayn Rand said the primary purpose of her writing Atlas Shrugged was to portray her vision of the ideal man, not politics. She said that the portrayal of the political events as such was to prevent them from happening, not prediction, and she said many times -- such as in regard to the libertarians -- that political reversal is not possible without the necessary philosophy. There are already too many people who never understood the philosophical revolution in Atlas Shrugged -- thinking the novel is about predicting the future and advocating dropping out -- without a movie version that encourages such a strategic misunderstanding. If the movie is good and encourages people to read the novel it will help for those who are able to maintain a first-hand understanding of the novel despite erronious outside influences, but based on what you described in your review I can understand your reacting with a sense of emptiness. The novel is supposed to personally inspire, not lecture about politics so Glenn Beck can praise it for its "predictions" and ignore everything else while he continues to preach a conventionally destructive religion.

I haven't read the review because I intend to see the movie and want to go in as "fresh" as possible. However, considering that I did read the snippet of the review provided in another post, it inspired me to try and accomplish what is an impossible task when I do go to see it. The task is to identify what I would take from the movie had I never read the book. Like I said, it's impossible, but I still might be able to fairly accurately surmise what the impression would have been.

The review by Chis Wolsky in Craig Biddle's quarterly The Objective Standard, Spring 2011, is here.

Three Ayn Rand Movies: Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead & We the Living

How does the new Atlas Shrugged Movie compare to We the Living and The Fountainhead movies?

Ayn Rand’s ideas grew in depth, breadth and explicitness across her three novels: We the Living, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. Concretizing them in a movie form grows progressively harder with successive novels.

We the Living dramatizes the sacredness of one’s own life and the destructive evil of dictatorships. The movie was made during Mussolini’s dictatorship in Italy in 1942, and the story of its making is fascinating in its own right...

http://shrikantrangnekar.wordpress.com/201...-we-the-living/

What will be the impact of the Atlas Shrugged Movie on our culture?

I am raising questions about the factors that will shape the magnitude of that impact, and am answering them before the release of the movie in the hope that doing so will get people thinking about this opportunity, and will enable them to devise their own strategies for making the most of it...

Atlas Shrugged Movie: Ten Million Dollar Questions

Nicely done, Mr. Rangnekar. Your point #4 is the one I've been wondering about. I was grabbed by the concept of white blackmail as Ayn Rand showed it but thought it, and similar issues, would probably be missed in this medium. I'm eager to see the movie. It looks like I'll have to travel a couple hours to see it in the theater.

It's the deeper, more subtle philosophical aspects of the novel that I think would have a big impact on society, as they did on me. This should be interesting...

The review by Chis Wolsky in Craig Biddle's quarterly The Objective Standard, Spring 2011, is here.

Heh! I should have read this thread more carefully. I was waiting for the magazine to arrive and hadn't checked for the online review.

I realize the movie, and no movie, can ever be as I interpret the book in my head. From the review they have done some smart changes to bring it to the screen and allow it to feel relevant. Unfortunately there's some execution lacking.

Really hoping to go see it, if only to support the director and his efforts.

Atlas Shrugged Movie Report: April 17, 2011

The other number I was watching closely was its performance on Saturday compared to Friday–because I knew that the bulk of Objectivists were seeing it on Friday. It performed almost as strongly on Saturday as it did on Friday–which is a good sign...

How was the movie received by Objectivists? I conducted a poll of my Facebook friends asking them to rate the movie as wither Excellent (5 stars), Good (4 stars), Average (3 stars), Poor (2 stars) or Awful (1 star). 28 people voted so far and you can see the poll results on my Facebook wall here. If you have trouble viewing the poll results or voting in the poll because you are not my Facebook friend, you are welcome to send me a Facebook friend request. You will also be able to see my frequent updates about Atlas Shrugged Movie as they are posted on Facebook. Please add you own vote in the poll...