Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stephen Speicher

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

Rate this movie   19 votes

1. 1. Rate this movie

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 posts in this topic

There's one detail from this film that stood out to me the most, and which made me burst out laughing when I saw it. That's not to say there weren't laudable aspects to this film that can be abstracted from the story and events, it was quite romantic and full of heroic action, as I recall. But things like the following just ruin movies for me. It's my problem. Actually, I'm sure there are movies I like that have similar inconsistencies, plot holes, and magical elements. I've never seen what I would call a "perfect" movie, in fact.

Anyway, in one scene, some great master or other is sitting in a dark room, and someone tries to assassinate him with a poison dart, which he deftly catches in mid-air, foiling the attempt on his life. A dark room, remember, and he never saw it coming, he just reacted (to the sound of the dart, perhaps?), and caught this little dart with his bare hand. Wow. Amazing. What an incredible stud.

Then, not long after that, he's outdoors, engaged in open, hand-to-hand combat with some crazy witch-like female who's also trying to kill him, and she throws this huge circular sawblade-like weapon (like a giant throwing-star) from fairly far away. For some reason, this huge projectile flying toward him fails to attract his attention, he never sees it coming, it hits him squarely in the forehead and he's dead. LOL

Did anyone else see the ironic humor in that? Maybe I missed something that excused his lack of deftness in avoiding that particular threat.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone else for liking this film, it's just not my kind of movie. I'm one of those who doesn't like the mystical, flying through the air type of thing. It's so much more impressive and inspirational to me to see heroes succeed without having, or being able, to turn to arbitrary magical powers.

There's one detail from this film that stood out to me the most, and which made me burst out laughing when I saw it. That's not to say there weren't laudable aspects to this film that can be abstracted from the story and events, it was quite romantic and full of heroic action, as I recall. But things like the following just ruin movies for me. It's my problem. Actually, I'm sure there are movies I like that have similar inconsistencies, plot holes, and magical elements. I've never seen what I would call a "perfect" movie, in fact.

Anyway, in one scene, some great master or other is sitting in a dark room, and someone tries to assassinate him with a poison dart, which he deftly catches in mid-air, foiling the attempt on his life. A dark room, remember, and he never saw it coming, he just reacted (to the sound of the dart, perhaps?), and caught this little dart with his bare hand. Wow. Amazing. What an incredible stud.

Then, not long after that, he's outdoors, engaged in open, hand-to-hand combat with some crazy witch-like female who's also trying to kill him, and she throws this huge circular sawblade-like weapon (like a giant throwing-star) from fairly far away. For some reason, this huge projectile flying toward him fails to attract his attention, he never sees it coming, it hits him squarely in the forehead and he's dead. LOL

Did anyone else see the ironic humor in that? Maybe I missed something that excused his lack of deftness in avoiding that particular threat.

I'm not trying to belittle anyone else for liking this film, it's just not my kind of movie. I'm one of those who doesn't like the mystical, flying through the air type of thing. It's so much more impressive and inspirational to me to see heroes succeed without having, or being able, to turn to arbitrary magical powers.

Well, I liked the film (with major reservations) and I think this is hilarious. Never noticed myself of course. I have no memory of either scene, though. The part of the film that I liked best (aside from the visuals and style, which are primary) was the story between the two older characters. I thought I had their names right in a previous post, but who knows: Michelle Yeoh and Yun-Fat Chow. The story of the younger characters I didn't like so much. Anyhow, it's been a long time. I've never been able to get myself to re-watch it, even though I have it, and think it's a beautiful film, visually -- probably because of the ending, which I hated.

Well, I liked the film (with major reservations) and I think this is hilarious. Never noticed myself of course. I have no memory of either scene, though. The part of the film that I liked best (aside from the visuals and style, which are primary) was the story between the two older characters. I thought I had their names right in a previous post, but who knows: Michelle Yeoh and Yun-Fat Chow. The story of the younger characters I didn't like so much. Anyhow, it's been a long time. I've never been able to get myself to re-watch it, even though I have it, and think it's a beautiful film, visually -- probably because of the ending, which I hated.

That's pretty much exactly my view of the movie, Rose. I loved the Chow Yun-Fat/Michelle Yeoh story line, and was completely uninterested in the Zhang Ziyi storyline. All the tree-top walking and dart catching stuff is pure silliness, which had nothing to do with the real story. I wish they had left that stuff out.

I basically love the movie for two scenes. One with Chow Yun-Fat and Michelle Yeoh seated at a table in a beautiful gazebo-like structure, peacefully drinking tea, discussing their lives, and clearly very content in each other's company. And then the death scene of Chow Yun-Fat, where he finally realizes his mistaken philosophy that led him to repress his love for Michelle Yeoh, and tells her so.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0