Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnRgt

evo get there hands on the newest McLaren supercar

7 posts in this topic

No roll bars, no LSD, hydraulically supported and connected suspension, adaptive dampers, a little under 600bhp, 1301kg dry, carbon tub, optional ceramic brakes, brake assist, twin turbochargers. More technology than we’ve ever seen in a sports car before.

(For all the hype they enjoy, roll bars impact overall motion adversely. Some feel that their advantages aren't worth it.)

Unlike any other sports car because it separates the roles of ride and roll-stiffness. On a straight, bumpy road, it’s more comfortable than a Merc E-Class, change direction and it’s sharper than a GT3.

This car links the motions of diagonally opposed wheels hydraulically, controlling body motion better than all but the very best analog systems. (Problem with analog systems is that they can't handle as wide a range of either terrain or comfort settings as the handful of well-tuned smart suspensions do. And given the conditions of today's roads, some smart systems will run a given course faster than their. lighter, cheaper, more feelsome analog counterparts.)

no one understands the emotional side to these machines like Ferrari does, and the MP4-12C, for all its brilliance, serves as a reminder. It’s not unemotional, it sounds great in ‘track’ mode, it steers beautifully and its engineering is intriguing – but it is a car you admire deeply rather than one you sell your family to own

evo.co.uk

Be sure to watch the Harris video. (Harris is one of my favorite automotive journalists.)

Thanks for the link, John. Well worth watching. I really like the Ferrari 599 GTB, but it seems like this is a totally different machine. I guess I have a while to decide between the two, though. :)

Thanks for the link, John. Well worth watching. I really like the Ferrari 599 GTB, but it seems like this is a totally different machine. I guess I have a while to decide between the two, though. :)

I likle the 599 in all it's incarnations, but I love the GTO version, all 500 selling out before the model was announced to the general public:

autocar.co.uk (Video, 5:34)

evo.co.uk (4 videos, three on track, one on road)

Well, of course the GTO version is awesome. But I was trying to be somewhat realistic. :) I suppose if you're going to dream, though, you might as well dream big.

I likle the 599 in all it's incarnations, but I love the GTO version, all 500 selling out before the model was announced to the general public:

Ferrari, of course, made 599 GTOs not 500.

I hope no one invested in one of these marvelous machines because they thought there were only 500 of them out there . . . :)

[Chris Harris:] no one understands the emotional side to these machines like Ferrari does, and the MP4-12C, for all its brilliance, serves as a reminder. It’s not unemotional, it sounds great in ‘track’ mode, it steers beautifully and its engineering is intriguing – but it is a car you admire deeply rather than one you sell your family to own

Here's a reply to Harris' opinion by another evo great, Roger Green:

In many of the reviews of the MP4-12C the major criticism levelled at it has been that there’s a shortfall in emotional connection. Fair comment? I don’t think so.
But the most astonishing aspect isn’t the power, it’s what the MP4-12C does with it. Over the soaking wet, cold Welsh moorland roads the ride was almost spooky. I opted for ‘Sport’ in those conditions to tighten the roll rate, but it still had an exceptional level of suppleness, connectedness and feel. It’s a true drivers’ car. You feel instantly at one with it, and yet you also know that each and every drive would uncover more facets. It’s not a car to show off in. It’s a car to drive, and in the real world conditions there’s nothing faster or more accomplished. Seventeen years ago McLaren re-wrote the supercar rule book. I reckon they’ve just done it again.

evo blogs

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0