JohnRgt

Ayrton Senna movie trailer

16 posts in this topic

evo video (2:22)

I always loved the intensity Senna displayed when either racing are talking about racing. The fact that he was far calmer in every other context made that intensity even more palpable.

From what I can tell, the accident that claimed AS' life occurred because he pushed his car before his tires had a chance to warm up enough to lift the chassis to a point where he had enough airflow-generated traction for the turn he was attempting. (The other theory is that he had insisted that the the steering post be shaved down because he wasn't getting as much feedback from the front as he liked. So when he turned the wheel the post snapped and the car went straight into the wall.)

Here's a video (5:58) explaining the accident.

Senna is the last F1 driver to have died behind the wheel, an incredible engineering achievement given the size and weight of these cars, the speeds, tracks and level of competition involved.

We downloaded it last night, Bert!

I hope the longer, better version found on the rest of the world DVD is released in Zone 1 soon. Hopefully, the film will be popular enough on iTunes to warrant risking such a release in a country that isn't as interested in F1 as it probably should be.

I think Senna epitomized passion. He was a race car driver, completely. Like he was designed for that singular purpose. He raced to win; ruthlessly, no apologies and no compromises. When other drivers critized him he even seemed unable to comprehend. That's what I love about him.

The documentary was very good also. The best one i've seen about Ayrton Senna.

From a National Geographic piece on the accident that claimed Senna:

Motor racing at its very highest level is the most extreme form of human endeavor outside of war. And Ayrton Senna was the most extreme practitioner of it.
What Senna brought to the art of driving and the business of driving was an absolute, total commitment to it. Now those are vey easy words to say, and people in sport do talk like that. He was prepared to stay at a track till midnight looking at telemetry -- at computer print outs -- asking people questions, on and on and on, because he had to understand every singe aspect of the car. And he literally wore technicians down by going through it again, and again, and again, because he absolutely had to know. And he raised that level of understanding and commitment to a place where it had never been before. And now, of course, it’s become the norm. That’s what he gave it, um, brought to it on a technical level.

Part 1/3 (7:47):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdUfU9f1Lnw

Part 2/3 (7:56):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG1f198agN0&feature=related

Very interesting John. To my mind, there should be a minimum ground clearance set so that these perform more like cars than airplanes. I find their slot car like squiggles lack the grace a well crafted drift. F1 is not that appealing to me as a result. Moving suction cups bear no relation to a car dealing with normal traction. Just my thoughts even if they are heresy.

Technically speaking, wouldn't the cars behave more like airplanes if you reduce the down force? :P

Personally I think F1 cars move incredibly beautifully. Especially with a driver like Senna. As Jeremy Clarkson put it, it looked like the car was dancing.

I love the tech of contemporary race cars. And I'm sure that watching any car fly around a curve at over 300km/h is a thrill. But I'd love to see at lease some racing where the driver's skill is the only thing that can assure victory. If that means near-zero downforce cars with zero electronics, I'm all for letting go of the amazing tech, either in a separate racing league that features the absolute best drivers or on, say, two of the seventeen races Formula One runs now.

JohnRgt: look for club or SCCA races in your area; at Waterford Hills Road Racing in southeastern Michigan (great website) we run pretty much SCCA classes, which means pretty reasonably matched cars. We race everything from Miatas to Corvettes and several classes of purpose built race cars. If there is a club near you you can also join and be a part of the action. Our Waterford Hills crew have worked everything from the US Grand Prix to the Belle Isle (Detroit) Indy Car and ALMS series, Sebring and Daytona. We will be doing so again this year. You may think it lacks the glamour of Formula 1; every "old hand" I know loves the club races as much or more than the pros. And for glamour - and excitement - there is nothing like being out on the track with the cars and drivers.

If anyone's close enough to Waterford to come for a day or a weekend, let me know. Free admission and pit passes are yours for the asking.

F1 is not that appealing to me as a result. Moving suction cups bear no relation to a car dealing with normal traction. Just my thoughts even if they are heresy.

Maybe F1 should take a look at NASCAR?

See the first story of last Sunday's episode of Top Gear:

http://www.streetfir...205_2371443.htm

I missed this before. Yes, NASCAR is more to my taste. Far more exciting to watch as the cars are right on the edge of flying all the time. The close formations mean great danger if contact is made. Certainly, the engineering compared to F1 is less advanced, and if that was the standard, then NASCAR would fade away. But it's not; people love to see Drivers dual in a manner they can relate to. The cars resemble road cars. They see the cars barely hanging on to the earth and at time leaving it completely.

F1 may be the pinnacle of speed, but the cars give no indication of the forces at work. You cannot see suction. To me they are slot cars in visual appeal.

I once watched the NASCAR awards, and was struck by how much more tastful they were than the Oscars. Blue collar they may be, but they are washed blue collars.

JohnRgt: look for club or SCCA races in your area; at Waterford Hills Road Racing in southeastern Michigan (great website) we run pretty much SCCA classes, which means pretty reasonably matched cars. We race everything from Miatas to Corvettes and several classes of purpose built race cars. If there is a club near you you can also join and be a part of the action. Our Waterford Hills crew have worked everything from the US Grand Prix to the Belle Isle (Detroit) Indy Car and ALMS series, Sebring and Daytona. We will be doing so again this year. You may think it lacks the glamour of Formula 1; every "old hand" I know loves the club races as much or more than the pros. And for glamour - and excitement - there is nothing like being out on the track with the cars and drivers.

If anyone's close enough to Waterford to come for a day or a weekend, let me know. Free admission and pit passes are yours for the asking.

One word: KARTS!

I once watched the NASCAR awards, and was struck by how much more tastful they were than the Oscars. Blue collar they may be, but they are washed blue collars.

Interesting.

And those Blue Collars are the nation's hope. Lord knows the intellectuals and seriously educated have been decimated by our institutions of higher confusion (Pagans v Christians . . .)