Betsy Speicher

... there is a big demand for the Atlas Shrugged movie

41 posts in this topic

ATLAS SHRUGGED Fans Shock Theater Chains

Theater chains inundated with requests from fans. Producers look to expand to more than 80 Cities

CULVER CITY, Calif., April 1, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Based on the film's recent fan-based grassroots uprising, "The Strike" Productions today announced it will be expanding the initial release of the Atlas Shrugged movie from 11 markets to over 50.

"AMC called directly to report their online contact system was being hit too hard. They requested we direct traffic to a specific address just to handle the volume," said producer Harmon Kaslow.

"While it's unusual for showtimes to be listed this early, the doors of the exhibitors have been thoroughly beaten down by Ayn's fans. Many of the theaters are now posting showtimes so tickets can be pre-purchased," continued Kaslow. "And, theaters and showtimes are now being reported as sold-out."

Fandango.com lists the 7:00pm showing at Regal Cinema's Union Square Theater in New York City as "sold out."

"Our online 'Demand Atlas!' service has been receiving an incredible amount of traffic since launch," said Scott DeSapio, Online Marketing Director of the film. "After toping the charts at another web site as the 'Hottest Demand Worldwide' for more than a week, we decided to build our own in-house 'Demand Atlas!' feature to better service Ayn Rand fans. We're completely blown away by the response."

"Our fans have spoken, and we have directed our booking agents to expand the release of Atlas Shrugged into the major theaters located in more than 80 cities across America," announced Kaslow. "Of course, until we're locked down, fans still need to let us know where the movie should play by coming to our website and demanding Atlas to their city."

"As a direct result of fans in Atlanta demanding Atlas, we immediately set about booking a theater. The current report is that the theater is already sold out for a number of shows on Friday, April 15, 2011 - opening day. We couldn't be more excited." concluded Kaslow.

For up to date theater information, visit http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/theaters.

Fans can "Demand Atlas!" at http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/demand.

About "The Strike" Productions:

"The Strike" Productions, Inc. was established as a new production company for the sole purpose of producing a trilogy of films based on Ayn Rand's epic novel, "Atlas Shrugged." For more information, visit http://www.AtlasShruggedPart1.com

Media Contact:

David Fouse

The Pinkston Group

703-938-6430

SOURCE "The Strike" Productions

After clicking on the link I am some what saddened to see that only 66 people have requested the movie in the Las Vegas metro area. I sent the local theaters email request also, but with such a small demand I do not think it will come to Las Vegas.

After clicking on the link I am some what saddened to see that only 66 people have requested the movie in the Las Vegas metro area. I sent the local theaters email request also, but with such a small demand I do not think it will come to Las Vegas.

Nothing in Nevada at all. It's in 84 theaters but only 18 states (including DC). You would have to travel to California or Arizona unless something else develops over the next week or so.

The "demand" numbers for the campaign at http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/demand are oddly distributed -- a few thousand in Atlanta, GA, then dropping off dramatically. The press release emphasized Atlanta and one of the theaters in NYC. It isn't a report on widespread demand but rather a promotion offering to arrange for theaters where someone else can organize a local demand.

The link for the source is PRNews, a press release website. According to Google it has been picked up by several hundred sites.

Nothing in Nevada at all. It's in 84 theaters but only 18 states (including DC). You would have to travel to California or Arizona unless something else develops over the next week or so.

The "demand" numbers for the campaign at http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/demand are oddly distributed -- a few thousand in Atlanta, GA, then dropping off dramatically. The press release emphasized Atlanta and one of the theaters in NYC. It isn't a report on widespread demand but rather a promotion offering to arrange for theaters where someone else can organize a local demand.

The link for the source is PRNews, a press release website. According to Google it has been picked up by several hundred sites.

I was not living in Las Vegas when Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life was released, but a friend of mine said that he had to travel to Los Angeles to see it in the theater. It looks like something similar may have to been done, or just wait until it goes to DVD.

The other day when I clicked on the demand button for the movie I also wrote my two main local theaters of which AMC wrote back. Their customer service gave a quick description of how the process works and that they are attempting and would very much like to get the movie, but it has more to do with the studio than their request. If the movie does well in it's 18 release cities then maybe I will be able to see it here, but it looks doubtful.

The other day when I clicked on the demand button for the movie I also wrote my two main local theaters of which AMC wrote back. Their customer service gave a quick description of how the process works and that they are attempting and would very much like to get the movie, but it has more to do with the studio than their request. If the movie does well in it's 18 release cities then maybe I will be able to see it here, but it looks doubtful.

There explanation contradicts the statements in the press release: "'The Strike' Productions today announced it will be expanding the initial release of the Atlas Shrugged movie from 11 markets to over 50" and "Our fans have spoken, and we have directed our booking agents to expand the release of Atlas Shrugged into the major theaters located in more than 80 cities across America... Of course, until we're locked down, fans still need to let us know where the movie should play by coming to our website and demanding Atlas to their city". If they are waiting to see how well it does in "11 markets" why are they running a "Demand Atlas!" service and already expanded to over 80?

There explanation contradicts the statements in the press release: "'The Strike' Productions today announced it will be expanding the initial release of the Atlas Shrugged movie from 11 markets to over 50" and "Our fans have spoken, and we have directed our booking agents to expand the release of Atlas Shrugged into the major theaters located in more than 80 cities across America... Of course, until we're locked down, fans still need to let us know where the movie should play by coming to our website and demanding Atlas to their city". If they are waiting to see how well it does in "11 markets" why are they running a "Demand Atlas!" service and already expanded to over 80?

Here is the email response.

Dear Guest:

According to our information, the film studio distributing “Atlas Shrugged Pt. 1”, Rocky Mountain Pictures, is initially only releasing the movie in the following markets on Friday, 4/15:

New York City

Los Angeles

Chicago

San Francisco

Seattle

Washington DC/Bethesda, MD

Philadelphia

Boston

Miami

Dallas

Denver

Houston

Phoenix

Fairfield, CT

Duluth, GA

Nashville, TN

Arlington, VA

Portland, OR

Film studios will sometimes do this to see how well their movie will do. If it does well, they will usually release it to more markets. The decision as to where a movie will play is the result of a series of complex negotiations between the film studios and the theatres. Ultimately, it is the decision of the film studio as to where their movies will be shown. Be assured that AMC Theatres will make every effort to obtain these, highly publicized, independent films when they are released in our markets. Please watch the movie’s official website at http://www.atlasshruggedpart1.com/theaters for theatres currently scheduled to show the movie and our website at http://www.amctheatres.com for more information as it becomes available.

Again, thank you for contacting us. We look forward to seeing you at the movies!

Sincerely,

AMC Guest Services

Here is the email response.

I don't know what they count as a "market" centered on a major city and if the 18 listed markets include the over 80 theaters the website lists. The obvious overlaps are 4 or 5 in NYC, 3 in Boston/Cambridge and 3 in Seattle (if I remember correctly from the last time I checked). Maybe you could ask at the AS movie website and give them a copy of the response you got.

I don't know what they count as a "market" centered on a major city and if the 18 listed markets include the over 80 theaters the website lists. The obvious overlaps are 4 or 5 in NYC, 3 in Boston/Cambridge and 3 in Seattle (if I remember correctly from the last time I checked). Maybe you could ask at the AS movie website and give them a copy of the response you got.

The Los Angeles market includes theaters in Los Angeles as well as theaters in Orange County (Aliso Viejo, Irvine, Orange, Santa Ana), San Marcos, Santa Maria, Torrance, Ventura, and three theaters in San Diego.

I'll be seeing the film with friends on Friday night. April 15th, in Ventura, CA. The local Tea Party group will be going to see it on Thursday, April 21st. Who else has plans to see it?

Only one theater in CT showing it so far. Can't find any Sony Loewes Theaters carrying it. Will have to drive more than an hour away to see it.

I hope it comes out on Blu-ray, because that's likely the only way I'm going to be able to see it.

Only one theater in CT showing it so far. Can't find any Sony Loewes Theaters carrying it. Will have to drive more than an hour away to see it.

I hope it comes out on Blu-ray, because that's likely the only way I'm going to be able to see it.

Los Angeles and Phoenix are both more than a 4 hour drive and would require me to take a whole day off from my work. But I would drive an hour to go and see the movie. When I lived in Maine it was around 120 miles to the nearest city with a mall/theater and it was around 90 miles to the nearest city with a McDonalds which I usually drove to quite often.

Los Angeles and Phoenix are both more than a 4 hour drive and would require me to take a whole day off from my work. But I would drive an hour to go and see the movie. When I lived in Maine it was around 120 miles to the nearest city with a mall/theater and it was around 90 miles to the nearest city with a McDonalds which I usually drove to quite often.

The movie isn't showing in Maine at all. Apparently there has been a strategic decision to avoid third world countries where they don't know what industry is anyway. (There is, however, now a McDonalds in Machias, only about a half hour from where Ray was stationed -- no traffic lights yet though). Some people from southern Maine are traveling to Boston for the movie if they can get their visas in order.

More theaters just announced, including another one in CT and four in NV.

Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 09:21:10 -0400

From: Atlas Shrugged Movie <tickets@atlasshrugged.uservoice.com>

Subject: ATLAS SHRUGGED: New theaters announced

Strikers,

Apparently, demanding Atlas to your town works. New Atlas Shrugged movie theaters announced in AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA, IL, KY, LA, NC, NV, NJ, NV, KY, MA, MO, NM, OH, OK, OR, SC, SD, TX, and UT - more coming soon.

New listings available on the Atlas Shrugged theaters page.

Atlas Shrugged is coming... in 7 Days. Here. We. Come.

Get involved.

©2011 The Strike Productions Inc | 3458 Malaga Court | Calabasas CA | 91302

All the talk about the movie is definitely helping book sales on Amazon. Notice the sales trends and the higher average rankings in the most recent periods.

For the best-selling paperback edition:

Lifetime Average = 362

90-Day Average = 225

30-Day Average = 122

7-Day Average = 98

Current Rank = 91

The Centennial Edition:

Lifetime Average = 281

90-Day Average = 281

30-Day Average = 261

7-Day Average = 208

Current Rank = 220

Current Rank for other editions

Audible.com (in classics) = 2

Audible.com (in fiction) = 4

Kindle = 220

Signet paperback = 1,234

Mass market paperback = 2,258

Unabridged audio CD = 8,566

School and library binding = 27,885

The movie isn't showing in Maine at all. Apparently there has been a strategic decision to avoid third world countries where they don't know what industry is anyway. (There is, however, now a McDonalds in Machias, only about a half hour from where Ray was stationed -- no traffic lights yet though). Some people from southern Maine are traveling to Boston for the movie if they can get their visas in order.

:)

More theaters just announced, including another one in CT and four in NV.
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 09:21:10 -0400

From: Atlas Shrugged Movie <tickets@atlasshrugged.uservoice.com>

Subject: ATLAS SHRUGGED: New theaters announced

Strikers,

Apparently, demanding Atlas to your town works. New Atlas Shrugged movie theaters announced in AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, IA, IL, KY, LA, NC, NV, NJ, NV, KY, MA, MO, NM, OH, OK, OR, SC, SD, TX, and UT - more coming soon.

New listings available on the Atlas Shrugged theaters page.

Atlas Shrugged is coming... in 7 Days. Here. We. Come.

Get involved.

©2011 The Strike Productions Inc | 3458 Malaga Court | Calabasas CA | 91302

This is good news as one of the theaters mentioned in Nevada is less than a 1/4 mile from my house.

This is good news as one of the theaters mentioned in Nevada is less than a 1/4 mile from my house.

Hand out ads for the film -- and the book, of course -- at your local Tea Party.

They added Plainville, CT, a backwater town of decendants of bullet manufacturing workers. Ie., the retard zone of CT. Now what's more ridiculous is that Atlas Shrugged isn't even on the theater's schedule for that day, or any of the five days following. Someone needs to update the web site to reflect the showing, else how are the viewers going to know about it?

The Fairfield location is urban, high crime. I tend to avoid travel to those areas unless the matter is life & death.

The Fairfield location is urban, high crime. I tend to avoid travel to those areas unless the matter is life & death.

Well, getting a bus load of the right people together and dragging them to that theatre may just be a matter of life & death. And as bad as parts of Fairfield are, it's not a crime capital -- not by Northeast standards.

The theater was not full but it was a matinee. When the movie was over the audience gave a round of applause and carried it on for a while. I enjoyed the movie and intend on seeing it again.

Hi Ray,

Lisa and I went to the matinee in Portland.  Estimate about a hundred people and there was applause at the end. It has been along time since I saw a movie where the audience showed their approval.

Loved the train scenery, reminded me of my drive to St. Louis through that country several years ago.

Favorite scene was Wyatt, Rearden and Dagny having dinner after fighting for their values and earning success.  The scene embodied happiness for me and I was reminded not only of the struggles that were overcome to build the John Galt line but also the struggles that were fought to have the movie produced in the first place.

I will see it again this week.

Final thought,  all the critics remind me of the detractors against Rearden Metal, they need to shut up and get out of the way.