Betsy Speicher

... there is a big demand for the Atlas Shrugged movie

41 posts in this topic

Hi Ray,

Lisa and I went to the matinee in Portland.  Estimate about a hundred people and there was applause at the end. It has been along time since I saw a movie where the audience showed their approval.

Loved the train scenery, reminded me of my drive to St. Louis through that country several years ago.

Favorite scene was Wyatt, Rearden and Dagny having dinner after fighting for their values and earning success.  The scene embodied happiness for me and I was reminded not only of the struggles that were overcome to build the John Galt line but also the struggles that were fought to have the movie produced in the first place.

I will see it again this week.

Final thought,  all the critics remind me of the detractors against Rearden Metal, they need to shut up and get out of the way.

Hi Rick,

I agree! "Lead, follow or get the hell out of my way!"

Box office sales for April 15.

http://www.the-numbers.com/charts/today.php

A respectable performance considering it's showing in only 300 movie houses. Of particular note is the per screen average. It beats all but the top two pictures. Perhaps more theaters will pick up the movie with numbers like that. The coming week will tell.

Check back at the www.atlasshruggedpar1.com website. 428 theaters and counting!

I went to see AS Wednesday, in an urban location, at a multiplex theater in a large building.

While I was there, I got to enjoy inhaling the stench of a dead rat that must have found its way into the ventilation system.. much of the lobbies on the upper level and this theater were filled with the sickening stench.

The screen was smallish (20 feet wide) and the projection was dim and the film print was as blurry as I remember 35mm film in theaters when I last attended (ten years ago).. sound was one step above squawkbox quality. Anyway...

I had low expectations for the movie's carrying of the theme from the novel, so I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be slightly above the level of a trainwreck. It was actually pretty well done. Fortunately, some of the scenes from the trailer were re-shot for the movie.. the trailer performances were Saturday morning cartoonish voices. The movie has more realistic acting.

Ellis Wyatt was powerful. I like his character's portrayal. Also beyond reproach was Rearden's character. He was right on target as I had imagined during reading the novel.

The crescendo was definately the train ride. I found myself getting choked up with emotion as the train engineer announce "175..." and reaching full impact when the train was at 250mph. The CG effects looked fine (probably because the film print was only DVD quality and much of the flaws were hidden.

Missing was the foundation, the background of the characters. In the novel, you know who Francisco D'Anconia is, why he became a playboy, etc.. in the movie, you just see him lounging with women on his lap. The movie was like a thousand page Word document, displayed in OUTLINE mode--only the first few words of each paragraph. The movie was a needle. The novel was the haystack.

Granted, they did it in 1 take, with a pathetic budget and in that light, I think they did quite well with it.

I went to see AS Wednesday, in an urban location, at a multiplex theater in a large building.

While I was there, I got to enjoy inhaling the stench of a dead rat that must have found its way into the ventilation system.. much of the lobbies on the upper level and this theater were filled with the sickening stench.

The screen was smallish (20 feet wide) and the projection was dim and the film print was as blurry as I remember 35mm film in theaters when I last attended (ten years ago).. sound was one step above squawkbox quality. Anyway...

It's a shame that you had to watch it in the remnants of a theater in Starnesville, but this doesn't have anything to do with the film itself. It was shot with very high resolution state of the art digital imaging with no rats on the digitized smell track.

It's a shame that you had to watch it in the remnants of a theater in Starnesville, but this doesn't have anything to do with the film itself. It was shot with very high resolution state of the art digital imaging with no rats on the digitized smell track.

I saw it in both digital projection and 35mm. The digital version looks amazing--quite a bit better than 35mm.

I saw it in both digital projection and 35mm. The digital version looks amazing--quite a bit better than 35mm.

I know digital looks better than film. And I'm familiar with the RED camera that was used to shoot this film. The viewing just served to remind me how poor 35mm film resolves detail. I place it at or below DVD (on an upscaling player) resolution. Film may contain low-amplitude fine detail, but in the upper spacial resolution, it is masked by grain, so effectively, the resolution is pretty poor on distribution prints.

I shoot digital cinema productions for a living, so I'm familiar with all of these technical issues.

My friend who is also an Objectivist, and saw it at the same theater complex was here to celebrate my daughter's birthday yesterday and he told me he saw it in a different auditorium.. the last one on the right of the lobby. When I went, it was the first on the right. So they moved it to a crappy theater after opening day. More reason to go on opening day and not wait.

If any of you know when this will be released internationally I would be grateful for the information particularly for London and any Swiss cities.

With the new news about the jury award of $65 million against John Aglialoro's company, Cybex International, and with the awful reviews the film has gotten, leading to a sharp drop in movie ticket sales, Aglialoro has deep doubts about doing parts 2 and 3.

This goes somewhat as I expected. Hoping that this would be a turning point for America was probably too optimistic. The world is an evil place and most people are too ignorant or undeserving of a world of Reason. Perhaps we all should go on strike and let them watch their civilization crumble into obscurity.

With the new news about the jury award of $65 million against John Aglialoro's company, Cybex International, and with the awful reviews the film has gotten, leading to a sharp drop in movie ticket sales, Aglialoro has deep doubts about doing parts 2 and 3.

Maybe not.

'Atlas Shrugged' Producer Promises Two Sequels Despite Terrible Reviews, Poor Box Office

8:37 PM 4/27/2011 by Paul Bond

"Atlas Shrugged"

The critics are "revitalizing me with their outrageousness," John Aglialoro, who spent $10 million of his own money on the film, tells THR.

The man who says he spent $10 million of his own money to bring Atlas Shrugged: Part 1 to the big screen vowed Wednesday to go through with his plans to make the next two installments, even though critics hate the movie and business at movie theaters has fallen off a cliff.

In fact, said John Aglialoro, the co-producer and financier, it's the monolithic view from critics that say the movie stinks that is motivating him to make Parts 2 and 3, he told The Hollywood Reporter.

See full article (link)

A friend also reported he saw a commercial for Atlas Shrugged on The O'Reilly Factor -- the top-rated prime-time cable news show -- tonight.

That's surprising, but I wouldn't get too excited or optimistic yet. He goes from one extreme to the other, like a manic depressive. His telling the media that he gives up, shows that he doesn't think through his words before opening his mouth. Now, just hours later, he's going to do parts 2 and 3? I would take that with a grain of salt. Especially if the jury award sticks and his company goes under from bankruptcy.

That's surprising, but I wouldn't get too excited or optimistic yet. He goes from one extreme to the other, like a manic depressive. His telling the media that he gives up, shows that he doesn't think through his words before opening his mouth. Now, just hours later, he's going to do parts 2 and 3? I would take that with a grain of salt. Especially if the jury award sticks and his company goes under from bankruptcy.

Anger can motivate a person to say one thing and then hours later after calming down rethink what they stated and change their mind and actions. That is one of the wonderful things about volition as one can choose a different path when ever they want.

Indeed, though the press will have a field day with that switcharoo. They're already lambasting a 'capitalist' for complaining that the free market voted against his movie. LoL..