Jim A.

Mispronunciations

35 posts in this topic

I do have a problem with 'Give me the thing that thee thought was the thorniest and thickest thicket."

I do have a problem with 'Give me the thing that thee thought was the thorniest and thickest thicket."

. . . or, Theopholus Thistle thrust three thousand thistles through the thick of his thumb.

Mine tend to run together a bit: I say "the egg" as "th' egg." But if I consciously separate them, it's definitely "thee" that's comfortable for me.

Ok how about continually leaving off the g in "ing". It kills me that the President does this all the time. "I need to be worrin' about more important issues"

Ok how about continually leaving off the g in "ing". It kills me that the President does this all the time. "I need to be worrin' about more important issues"

Is that specific example really linguistic laziness? Or could it be a regional thing?

In general I agree, although it bothers me far more in public speaking than in day to day conversation.

BTW, I enjoy the opposite, emphasizing the 'g' - it's somehow endearing. I hear it primarily in certain British dialects. For example I recall hearing the Beatles, especially Ringo, pronouncing "ing" with a 'g' like in "gone" at the end. Or in the movie Help when George exclaims about "an evil, fiendish thinGie!"

Is that specific example really linguistic laziness? Or could it be a regional thing?

In general I agree, although it bothers me far more in public speaking than in day to day conversation.

BTW, I enjoy the opposite, emphasizing the 'g' - it's somehow endearing. I hear it primarily in certain British dialects. For example I recall hearing the Beatles, especially Ringo, pronouncing "ing" with a 'g' like in "gone" at the end. Or in the movie Help when George exclaims about "an evil, fiendish thinGie!"

I've often wondered if the President uses it to try to sound "down home". I'm not sure I remember hearing the lack of G in Chicago or Illinois especially but I'm with you regarding the difference between hearing it in day to day conversation and public speaking. I'm not sure I'd even notice it in day to day.

. . . or, Theopholus Thistle thrust three thousand thistles through the thick of his thumb.

Geez, I got my own tongue twister wrong, it should be: Theopholus Thistle, a successful thistle sifter, thrust three thousand thistles through the thick of his thumb.

Geez, I got my own tongue twister wrong, it should be: Theopholus Thistle, a successful thistle sifter, thrust three thousand thistles through the thick of his thumb.

Double geez I still got it wrong - is there an edit function?

One more (last) time: Theopholus Thistle, a successful thistle sifter, while sifting a sea of unsifted thistles thrust three thousand thistles through the thick of his thumb.

Yes you do. :) This is a perfectly natural linguistic phenomenon, comparable to the use of contractions such as "isn't" or "don't" or "gonna." Similar things exist in many other languages, for example in German the word "es" is often abbreviated to "'s" and the "e" ending is often dropped from verbs, so "ich habe es" is pronounced as "ich hab's." The rationale behind these contractions and abbreviations is that they allow the same idea to be expressed with fewer sounds while still allowing the listener to understand your meaning perfectly well--in other words, they make communication more efficient.