Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Abaco

My Son's Teacher Named After Ayn Rand

3 posts in this topic

I was speaking with my son's teacher last night and we learned that we are both fans of Ayn Rand. Her mother was reading Fountainhead when she was pregnant with her and gave her the middle name of "Ayn". She has read Atlas Shrugged (and loved it). I offered to take her to see the movie but it looks like we'll have to watch it at our house as it's not in any theaters nearby. My son is going to a private Montassori school.

I also had lunch with an old friend of mine yesterday who is about to complete reading Atlas Shrugged. He, like me, is quite conservative. I find it so interesting how those who have read the book really love it. While the rest of the people I know have never heard of it. It is like a cult following.

It is like a cult following.

It's like a book that's been fought tooth and nail by the mechanisms that, in a better culture, would give it at last part of the recognition it deserves.

It is like a cult following.

It's like a book that's been fought tooth and nail by the mechanisms that, in a better culture, would give it at last part of the recognition it deserves.

Of course. It reminds me of how I learned of it. I saw John Galt mentioned in a couple financial/economic pieces I was reading and decided to search the name on the internet. This book should have at least been mentioned by my high school literature teacher. He did expose me to Catch 22 back then, so he's forgiven.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0