Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnRgt

Hot Wheels stunt at Indy 500

7 posts in this topic

Any engineers care to guess what the foursome of fans on the back of the vehicle do? They seem way too large to be cooling down either the charge, the engine, or the suspension hydraulics, don't they? (They're visible towards the end of the first clip.)

Nice! And they ran it down a (life-size) real Hot Wheels track!

I had tons of Hot Wheels as a kid. I was even going to have the Hot Wheels logo painted on my '01 PT Cruiser, but my son totalled it before I could get it done. The chrome wheels on that car looked exactly like the ones on old-school Hot Wheels cars. That and the unusual look of the car made me feel like I was driving one. :)

That is the radiator location on those type of racing trucks.

I figured you wouldn't want the radiator up front, but why does it/they have to be that large? (Quad fans?)

That truck produces 875 horsepower, this equates to about 37000 BTU/min that the cooling system needs to handle, it is also designed for racing in the desert races in Baja California and Paris Dakar.

I figured you wouldn't want the radiator up front, but why does it/they have to be that large? (Quad fans?)

That truck produces 875 horsepower, this equates to about 37000 BTU/min that the cooling system needs to handle, it is also designed for racing in the desert races in Baja California and Paris Dakar.

Thanks, but 875 hp doesn't necessarily add up to a radiator(s) with four mega fans pulling on it -- even if forced air boost is off the scale. (The dessert factor, though . . . ) I've seen all kinds of cars produce that much power and more, in all kinds of ways, with smaller rads and nowhere near that sort of fan power. (My favorite ran a mineral oil for a coolant, cutting weight dramatically.)

Any chance they help airflow during flight? If braking and spinning wheels can help adjust attitude, couldn't those fans play a similar role?

Much thanks.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0