Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vespasiano

Jerome Kern's "All the Things You Are"

3 posts in this topic

Here is a performance of the song, All the Things You Are, as it was originally conceived by composer Jerome Kern for his 1939 Broadway show, "Very Warm for May". This song is perhaps my favorite from the American musical theater and I think there is only one word that describes this particular performance of it . . . magnificent.

Here is a performance of the song, All the Things You Are, as it was originally conceived by composer Jerome Kern for his 1939 Broadway show, "Very Warm for May". This song is perhaps my favorite from the American musical theater and I think there is only one word that describes this particular performance of it . . . magnificent.

Thanks for this, V! She sings beautifully. What a gorgeous instrument and what a direct, honest, unaffected delivery. She's a throwback to a time when musical theatre was written for trained singers and beautiful (rather than quirky) voices. Not that there isn't a place for the great characters like Ray Bolger, Celeste Holm, Julie Holliday, Carol Channing, Buddy Hackett, Sterling Holloway, and the like. But it's so nice to hear a great sung delivered by a great voice, perfectly produced. Luker has an instrument and a technique that would be welcome on any opera stage.

I found a couple that show not only here excellent singing, but her beautiful presence, as well:

Thanks for putting this up. Beautiful!

But it's so nice to hear a great sung delivered by a great voice, perfectly produced. Luker has an instrument and a technique that would be welcome on any opera stage.

I found a couple that show not only here excellent singing, but her beautiful presence, as well:

Thanks, Alan! I am very familiar with those YouTube clips particularly Miss Luker's performance of "Man in the Street", which is just beautiful.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0