Jim A.

Canucks lose; Vancouver riots

4 posts in this topic

I recently visited Vancouver, B.C., for the first time. I enjoyed it, and would like to go there again.

But I was saddened and rather disturbed by the news of the riots following the Vancouver Canucks' missing the Stanley Cup. I know there is no valid reasoning behind the riots, but I wish I could ask one of the rioters: "Why? Why did you feel it necessary to damage or destroy property belonging to people who, most likely, had nothing to do with the Canucks or maybe even with hockey? Is it simply because your team lost? Is that that distressing? Or is the 'reason' for rioting something else? If so, what, for Christ's sake?" I wonder what they would say, what they would use for their excuse.

I have found that, in many cases, the level of rationality of each member in a group is divided by the number of people in that group. But these rioters are also men without purpose. Did they cherish success, peace, happiness, productivity and industrial civilization before they started to smash windows? I don't think so. They set fire to cars they could never conceive of building, on streets they couldn't pave in 50 years, before they go back to heated homes with electricity, running water and internet connections instead of the damp caves that would have been the only choice of dwelling in their kind of world.

Sometimes I wonder if a more powerful message should be sent as to what the good in our world think about the marauders. Let's say that instead of tear gas and tazers, we were to use flamethrowers. Barbaric? Sure. But fundamentally no more so than these looters. Just imagine the faces of the rest of their ilk at such a response from the good people who desire a good world to live in.

The riot had little to do with hockey. These people went there with an agenda. The riot started over an hour after the game and after most people left downtown and went home. A group stayed behind and there was not only destruction of property but looting of high end stores as well.

The whole city was disgusted with what happened. Within hours websites went up (local media outlets started advertizing those in the morning)which allowed people to upload their pictures and video that could help the police identify those involved in the riot.

Also, the next day 15,000 people showed after work in downtown to help clean up.

Ah yes, the bad and the good. I lived in Vancouver for more than a quarter century, and loved it for it's civilized gentleness. These rioting louts appreciated nothing of that gentle city. They should be herded together on Ellesmere Island, where they can share their values and suffer what nature thinks of them.