Brad Harrington

Liberty's Torch Fires Up First Issue

11 posts in this topic

Barbie wrote this! I swear. She's the Editor, after all. Although I admit that I did clean it up a bit. Getting too excited to wait. Hah! Stay tuned for plenty more where this came from...Don't know if the "Politics" section is the best place for this, but I do talk about Politics, so there.

LIBERTY'S TORCH FIRES UP FIRST ISSUE: AN INTERVIEW WITH PUBLISHER BRADLEY HARRINGTON

By Barbie Harrington

Today, Sept. 2nd, in the midst of an era characterized more by failures than startups, America’s latest newspaper bucks the trend and begins publication: Liberty’s Torch, based in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

The newspaper, the brainchild of founder Bradley Harrington, former commentary columnist for Cheyenne’s Wyoming Tribune-Eagle, starts out as a monthly publication, but hopes to shift to at least every two weeks as soon as possible. “That will all depend upon our readership response,” Harrington said. “If we take off like I believe we will, growing readership will attract more advertisers, allowing us to print more often. Who knows? We might be the new daily in town in five years.”

At a time when newspapers all over the country are experiencing more financial difficulties than ever, what makes the Torch’s founder think it’s going to be any different? “Newspapers fail for a reason,” Harrington said, “and an examination of just what those reasons are is extremely illuminating. Yes, it is true that the rise of the Internet and the hypertext revolution have something to do with it, in a general sense. And Liberty’s Torch, by having an online presence as well (http://www.libertystorch.us) [under construction right now but coming damn soon - Brad], intends to meet that demand. But, more often, what you find is that the newspapers being hit the hardest, print-style or online, are the ones failing to provide their respective communities with what those readers want.”

”A lot of people are fed up with the sensationalistic, biased, concrete-bound sound-bites that characterize what most newspapers provide,” Harrington said. “What they want is real, honest news that they can trust and depend upon - and thoughtful, straightforward editorial opinion without a hidden agenda being smuggled into their minds in the process. Fiercely independent and beholden to no one, Liberty’s Torch will proudly promote and assert rational opinions that foster individual freedoms wherever they are to be found, whether on the Left or the Right. And we will always tell you why we believe what we do, and give you our reasons for it.”

“Most of us, I think you’d agree, have had our fill of the constant negativity in today’s news,” Harrington continued. “It’s what kept me out of the field for 30 years, despite the fact that journalism was my education and inclination. And what we want, many of us without realizing it or being able to put words to it, is positive integrity. Yes, some news by its nature is negative. But why is that often the only focus? Isn’t there more to life on Earth than plane crashes, shoot-outs and murders? That changes right now.”

And does Liberty’s Torch plan on making a difference in these areas? “Absolutely,” Harrington said. “And it was you, Barbie, that started this ball rolling in the first place, with your desire to put out a little sheet every now and then that concentrated on our own hometown heroes and the positive impacts hundreds of our residents have on our community.”

“And then, as you know, one day earlier this year, as I was looking over one of my pieces in the local WTE, I thought: Wouldn’t it be great to have all of the editorial pages devoted to rational social and political opinion, instead of my writing merely functioning as a ‘voice in the wilderness’ amongst all the rest of that collectivist claptrap?” Harrington asked. “And wouldn’t it be great to read features and news stories that emphasized the best within us, instead of the worst? And then the thought struck me: What this town needs is a new newspaper that focuses on the things that truly matter - and that the voices to provide it need to be our own. That’s where my dream began, and I haven’t been able to rest ever since.”

And does Harrington believe that this type of newspaper is a formula for success? “You bet I do,” he said. “Newspapers litter the countryside, but how many of them are truly giving people what they want and need? In the final analysis, very few. And that is why newspapers are failing left and right, of the Left or the Right. Studies have made it clear, over the years, to say nothing of common sense, that no one likes to start off their day with a negative. Who wants a rag on their kitchen table that they don’t even want their kids to read? Liberty’s Torch is out to provide not only more positive and objective news, but real-life solutions and input to real-life problems. And, as the name suggests, those solutions will be based in capitalistic principles of individual liberty and responsibility.”

Harrington looked thoughtful, then scratched his nose and winked. “Maybe we’re wrong, you and I,” he said. “Maybe most people really do like all of that cultural crud. I’m sure that at least a small percentage do. Great. They can go and read the New York Times. But the majority of us? I don’t think so, and neither do most of the people you and I know. There was a time when the market promoted that kind of stuff, but I believe that time is waning, as the upheavals in the journalistic field strongly suggest. People are watching their country get flushed down the toilet - and it’s answers they are looking for, not political propaganda.”

“I guess we’ll just have to let the market decide,” Harrington said. “If we’re wrong, then we’ll fold. But, if we’re right, as I am convinced that we are - then let the fun begin, because it’s time to turn liberty loose and let freedom ring!”

--

Barbie Harrington is the Editor of Liberty’s Torch. She can be reached at editor@libertystorch.us.

Barbie wrote this! I swear. She's the Editor, after all. Although I admit that I did clean it up a bit....

Is this a clarifying line that you added? :)

Harrington looked thoughtful, then scratched his nose and winked.

Barbie wrote this! I swear. She's the Editor, after all. Although I admit that I did clean it up a bit....

<hoot> Funny you should ask that. The answer is YES. I thought it added a "human" touch to the interview...So, to add another "human" touch here...PFFFFTTT! :)

Brad

timeforeverymantostir@yahoo.com

<hoot> Funny you should ask that. The answer is YES. I thought it added a "human" touch to the interview...So, to add another "human" touch here...PFFFFTTT! :)

Brad

Then you should further clarify as:

Harrington looked thoughtful -- as he always is -- then scratched his nose and winked as he interviewed himself.

Brad

Then you should further clarify as:

Harrington looked thoughtful -- as he always is -- then scratched his nose and winked as he interviewed himself.

<Howl> Something like that. But I don't think the "readers" would stand still for it! LOL!! How about if we just call it, "poetic license" instead??

Brad

Yes, some news by its nature is negative. But why is that often the only focus? Isn’t there more to life on Earth than plane crashes, shoot-outs and murders? That changes right now.”

A quick anecdote. I was out shooting a rather unusual car wreck. The details don't really matter here, suffice it to say, the driver survived. Anyway, there was a vacant lot adjacent to the scene. It soon became full with the cars of those who came to gawk. :) Of course there are always the morons who slow way down to look at the wreck on the other side of the interstate. "If it bleeds, it leads" has been a longstanding journalistic chestnut for a reason.

Liberty’s Torch is out to provide not only more positive and objective news, but real-life solutions and input to real-life problems.

Market research carried out by consultants, hired by TV stations, supposedly shows that viewers want more emotional stories. In fact, these consultants have so much as said that facts are unimportant! I am confident this will not be your approach! The funny thing is, the vast majority of reporters think they are 'fair' and 'objective.' In many web bios, the reason for getting into the 'news' business is that they "wanted to make a difference." Now I'm rambling.

[. . .] as the name suggests, those solutions will be based in capitalistic principles of individual liberty and responsibility.”

The beauty of print and the web is the amount of space available to fully develop a story. I look forward to longer form versions of your editorials.

“I guess we’ll just have to let the market decide,”

I'll be passing through Cheyenne about the time your first edition "hits the stands." I would very much like to know where I can pick up a copy. Best of luck to you.

[. . .] as the name suggests, those solutions will be based in capitalistic principles of individual liberty and responsibility.”

The beauty of print and the web is the amount of space available to fully develop a story. I look forward to longer form versions of your editorials.

“I guess we’ll just have to let the market decide,”

I'll be passing through Cheyenne about the time your first edition "hits the stands." I would very much like to know where I can pick up a copy. Best of luck to you.

If longer is what you're after, my editorial post in a few minutes should satisfy you nicely. <huge grin>

That's right, you aren't that far from me at all. The People's Republic of Colorado, if I remember correctly. <smile> I'll have a distribution list up on the website within a week. Which I will post here when done!

And thanks for the support. I'll take any of it I can get my hands on!

Brad

Harrington asked. “And wouldn’t it be great to read features and news stories that emphasized the best within us, instead of the worst?

I hope Liberty's Torch will also be loaded with personal proclamations of proud productivity -- advertising!

Harrington asked. “And wouldn’t it be great to read features and news stories that emphasized the best within us, instead of the worst?

I hope Liberty's Torch will also be loaded with personal proclamations of proud productivity -- advertising!

Me too! The first issue, not a lot. People don't won't to put their money into something that hasn't even printed yet, and I don't blame them.

But once the first issue hits the streets, I don't see that as a problem!

Thanks for the best wishes, and stay tuned!!

Brad

Me too! The first issue, not a lot. People don't won't to put their money into something that hasn't even printed yet, and I don't blame them.

But once the first issue hits the streets, I don't see that as a problem!

Thanks for the best wishes, and stay tuned!!

Brad

Go get'em tiger.

ruveyn

Go get'em tiger.

ruveyn

Hah! GRRRRRRRRR. <very toothy smile>

Brad