Capitalism Forever

Obama Administration Abandons Stricter Air-Quality Rules

9 posts in this topic

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/03/science/...tml?_r=2&hp

President Obama abandoned a contentious new air pollution rule on Friday, buoying business interests that had lobbied heavily against it, angering environmentalists who called the move a betrayal and unnerving his own top environmental regulators.

The president rejected a proposed rule from the Environmental Protection Agency that would have significantly reduced emissions of smog-causing chemicals, saying that it would impose too severe a burden on industry and local governments at a time of economic distress.

His base won't be happy ... but even he is smart enough to realize that he can't win by catering to his base.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/03/science/...tml?_r=2&hp
President Obama abandoned a contentious new air pollution rule on Friday, buoying business interests that had lobbied heavily against it, angering environmentalists who called the move a betrayal and unnerving his own top environmental regulators.

The president rejected a proposed rule from the Environmental Protection Agency that would have significantly reduced emissions of smog-causing chemicals, saying that it would impose too severe a burden on industry and local governments at a time of economic distress.

His base won't be happy ... but even he is smart enough to realize that he can't win by catering to his base.

Let's hope he goes lower in the polls after this.

Double good news for us:

1) Something very bad was averted

2) Obama has reached a political point so fragile that even he is starting to realize that his magic-wand of flashing a good smile while teleprompting a speech can no longer abracadabra-vanish problems before the public's eyes. Too many people are starting to realize that while "Hope and Change" make for good slogans and youtube videos, you can't pay bills with them or magically create jobs from empty fuzzy words which have long wore off their luster.

King Bammy is toast. He's just fumbling awkwardly now. Observe his latest gaffe of trying to schedule a speech during a Republican event, then getting cowed into submission by Boehner. He probably did the scheduling on purpose as a middle-finger towards the Republicans, but then didn't have the heuvos to follow through and rapidly caved. This guy's a joke. With as worthless as Clinton was, I at least lend him the "respect" of knowing how to be cunning when cornered; Obama on the other hand is just flailing, and he's embarrassing everyone on the Left. Once his unpopularity reaches a critical point, all those long pulled-punches of the Left will come unpulled as they suddenly realize that politically it's either him or them, either jump-ship and survive or go down with the doomed Titanic driven by Captain Bammy.

Either way, their tears taste delicious :)

Obama is running scared. Unemployment figures are wretched and nothing seems to be helping. Yet for all that he could still run and win in the next election. All the Republicans have to do is run a Jesus Freak nut job like Perry or Bachman and the independent voters will back -any- Democratic candidate, Obama included.

ruveyn

Obama is running scared. Unemployment figures are wretched and nothing seems to be helping. Yet for all that he could still run and win in the next election. All the Republicans have to do is run a Jesus Freak nut job like Perry or Bachman and the independent voters will back -any- Democratic candidate, Obama included.

ruveyn

Your definition of "jesus freak nutjob" must be pretty elastic to stretch and include Perry/Bachmann. If you read their campaign platforms there are zero social issues mentioned, with the exception of Bachmann stating a desire to "protect marriage". Gay marriage is pretty irrelevant at this point in history, so I can't imagine how any Objectivist could not vote for Perry or Bachmann over being strong** Christians.

Texas is an economic powerhouse that is drawing citizens from around US for jobs. This isn't an accident.

**We live in thoroughly paganized culture, and to even "be a Christian" carries a wildly different meaning (for the better) than what it did a thousand years ago.

Your definition of "jesus freak nutjob" must be pretty elastic to stretch and include Perry/Bachmann. If you read their campaign platforms there are zero social issues mentioned, with the exception of Bachmann stating a desire to "protect marriage". Gay marriage is pretty irrelevant at this point in history, so I can't imagine how any Objectivist could not vote for Perry or Bachmann over being strong** Christians...

In his post he emphasized what he thinks "independents" will do. It's not clear that they would run to Obama or away from a Perry or a Bachman in large numbers, but it's a legitimate question to raise because a lot of independents don't vote by the same criteria that we do. It's more of a question of how the candidates are perceived by them than what their campaigns are saying.

As for Obama backing off viro control in the name of "air", you can be sure he will bring it back when he thinks he can get away with it, and we are still facing a threat even more serious from the EPA land use prohibitions in the name of "water": They are doing a regulatory end run around Congress' refusing to go along with the viro drive to control land in the name of Federal control over water anywhere. The viros are trying to overcome the two Supreme Court decisions preventing them from controlling land in the name of controlling any water under the Clean Water Act restricting controls to "navigable waters of the United States". The EPA is now claiming that almost all water is "connected" somehow. This was a major battle in Congress for three years and it has now moved to the EPA as a rogue agency.

Texas is an economic powerhouse that is drawing citizens from around US for jobs. This isn't an accident.

**We live in thoroughly paganized culture, and to even "be a Christian" carries a wildly different meaning (for the better) than what it did a thousand years ago.

Let us give all praise that is due to the businessmen in Texas and even to Governor Perry who was smart enough not to wreck the economy of Texas. However, if Perry is -perceived- as a religious nutter, the independent voters will flee from him to whatever viable alternative there is. So Perry may win the votes of the Religious Right Wing Republican Halleluljah chorus, but he may very well lose the 2012 election. And if Obama is running, Obama may very well win in spite of the fact that his current administration is a train wreck.

Another Obama administration could very well wreck this nation beyond repair. If the Republicans run something soft and squooshy such as Romney (ugh!) and he wins the nation may muddle on through a but longer.

In the long run we have got to rethink our political and economic values (actually our moral values) or the U.S. is doomed. If we are doomed I would still prefer a later doom to a sooner doom. Think of it this way. If the Titanic had stayed afloat two hours longer, few would have died.

ruveyn

In the long run we have got to rethink our political and economic values (actually our moral values) or the U.S. is doomed. If we are doomed I would still prefer a later doom to a sooner doom. Think of it this way. If the Titanic had stayed afloat two hours longer, few would have died.

That's a great line! I hope you don't mind if I steal it and use it when it can help make my point,

That's a great line! I hope you don't mind if I steal it and use it when it can help make my point,

By all means! Use it in good health.

ruveyn