ruveyn ben yosef

Steve Jobs is gone. Age 56

26 posts in this topic

... It seemed that the biographer kept condemning the physics of perfectionism as control issues. Towards the end of the book, he made what struck me as an incredible leap by claiming that Jobs' either-or assessments - everything and everyone was either great or sucked -- stemmed from his perfectionism.

I've never worked in the professions. Is American corporate culture such that people expect the sort of leeway that makes pushing to perfect or the seemingly impossible unusual or unacceptable?

I understand that there are better, more civil and effective ways of leading one's team to noteworthy heights. But the book constantly links perfectionism to Job's prickly leadership style...

Does the book distinguish between 'perfectionism' as doing things right versus obsession with a personal interest unrelated to the requirements of the stated goal?

Not the stated goal, but I can see people thinking that some of the things Jobs stressed, along with the degree to which he stressed them, were unrelated, ie, off the scale. (Ex: He designed his products so that only techies could open them because he didn't want people interfering with the hardware-software integration. Yet, he spent an enormous amount of time and money making sure the interiors were finished just as meticulously as the exteriors -- anodizing the inner case, making sure circuit boards looked flawless, etc.)