Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Stephen Speicher

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005)

Rate this movie   17 votes

1. 1. Rate this movie

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

My wife and I really enjoyed this movie. I think in part it helps that we didn't have the highest expectations upon seeing it (moreso on my part than hers), which added to the delightful surprise.

The story is about a married couple who have grown apart because each person is leading a double life - as professional assassins. Neither Mr. nor Mrs. Smith knows that the other engages in the same profession as they do. The story becomes interesting when their work "intersects" - with explosive results.

The movie is full of action, great humor and the phenomenal chemistry between Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie - if they aren't a couple in real life, they ought to be. There's also a sweet love story at the bottom, if you want to look for it (and you know I do). If I had to compare it to other movies, I'd say it's a cross between Kill Bill and True Lies. Both Pitt and Jolie are assassins, as in Kill Bill; but the movie overall is benevolent and humorous, as in True Lies. I give it a 10.

I liked it too. What was surprising was how the movie was not at all about "killing people" or about big guns etc, but about marriage and love, and what makes those work. It's a really stylized movie in the sense that, as General said, its stylization of the theme I just mentioned proceeds with truly explosive results, mirroring the smaller, but similar in principle, explosions that happen to to real marriages once in a while. It was kind of sweet, and the chemistry between Brad Pitt and Angeline Jolie was really steamy. I also found interesting the film's portrayal of manhood vs womanhood (Brad Pitt plays a guy with an inner child really well).

I liked it too. What was surprising was how the movie was not at all about "killing people" or about big guns etc, but about marriage and love, and what makes those work. It's a really stylized movie in the sense that, as General said, its stylization of the theme I just mentioned proceeds with truly explosive results, mirroring the smaller, but similar in principle, explosions that happen to to real marriages once in a while. It was kind of sweet, and the chemistry between Brad Pitt and Angeline Jolie was really steamy. I also found interesting the film's portrayal of manhood vs womanhood (Brad Pitt plays a guy with an inner child really well).

Great points Free Capitalist! :D

Glad to see I'm not the only one who liked it.

My wife and I really enjoyed this movie.  I think in part it helps that we didn't have the highest expectations upon seeing it (moreso on my part than hers), which added to the delightful surprise. 

Exactly. But I don't regard this as a classic or a perfect film or all that novel. Well done and lots of fun, but not exactly a 10. I give it a 7.

I was also pleasantly surprised by this film. It was fun, romantic and well acted. A great summer popcorn movie. I really enjoyed Brad Pitt as Mr. Smith. The chemistry between him and Angelina Jolie as Mrs. Smith was palpable. It is rumored that there *is* something going on between them, and after seeing the film, it wouldn't surprise me at all if there were.

I thought this movie was a lot of fun as well. I agree that there is a level of stylization in the dynamic between Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie that isn't found in many contemporary movies. I was impressed by this--it gives the movie a certain "retro" quality. The action sequence at the end gets a little excessive though.

I found that it was humorous now and then, but as jenbryn said, the fighting got to be excessive. It seemed almost predictable too.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0