Betsy Speicher

Atlas Shrugged is available in FRENCH!

8 posts in this topic

51cRux-XUZL.jpg

It only took over half a century, but Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged has finally been officially translated into French (under the title, The Strike). (link)

I have volume 1, "Les requins" ("The Sharks") of the slipshod 1958 translation , "La revolte d'Atlas." I saw Miss Rand autograph a copy, after her Ford Hall Forum speech in 1971. I'm not sure whether volumes 2 and 3 ("The Exploited" and "The Revenge") were ever even published.

Most of the reader reviews of the new edition are glowing: "I started to read it and couldn't put it down," "I recommend that everybody read this book, especially the young, to get a different view of the world than the one the leftist educational system has crammed into their minds," "This is surely the best book I've ever read. The story is captivating, and the author defends her Objectivist views marvelously well," "Is the individual more important than the state? That question is taboo in France, which extolls a cult of statism pitilessly and without concession."

The book is now receiving an unprecedented level of attention in France; see http://www.contrepoints.org/2011/09/22/44559-la-greve-en-librairie (hat tip: Shoshana Milgram)

Among all books on Amazon.fr, La Grève (The Strike) currently ranks # 995 in sales!

More from the reader reviews: "An author unjustly little-known in France," "the reference for every entrepreneur," "an indispensable book," "a delight," "a must-read," "at last!"

That sounds good, Bill. Being from Sweden, it's hard to imagine a modern Westerner not being able to read English, but I understand things are different in France. So if this translation gets more of them to read Atlas, that's just dandy.

I have volume 1, "Les requins" ("The Sharks") of the slipshod 1958 translation , "La revolte d'Atlas." I saw Miss Rand autograph a copy, after her Ford Hall Forum speech in 1971. I'm not sure whether volumes 2 and 3 ("The Exploited" and "The Revenge") were ever even published.

Most of the reader reviews of the new edition are glowing: "I started to read it and couldn't put it down," "I recommend that everybody read this book, especially the young, to get a different view of the world than the one the leftist educational system has crammed into their minds," "This is surely the best book I've ever read. The story is captivating, and the author defends her Objectivist views marvelously well," "Is the individual more important than the state? That question is taboo in France, which extolls a cult of statism pitilessly and without concession."

The book is now receiving an unprecedented level of attention in France; see http://www.contrepoi...ve-en-librairie (hat tip: Shoshana Milgram)

If you do a Google translation, it says that only 2 of the 3 volumes were published.

I've publicized the translation on BDFI, the site for French genre literature whose members were indispensable, five years ago, in identifying the first French children's magazine Ayn Rand subscribed to as an eight-year-old. I still feel I owe a great debt of gratitude to those guys ... and what better way to pay them back than to introduce them to Atlas ?

L'Express newspaper published an attack on Atlas ... but a majority of reader replies are hostile to the article:

"A worthless critique literarily, philosophically distressing, politically detestable. Did its author really read Ayn Rand?"

"Rand, who continues to inspire the world to hope and to struggle against tyranny, deserved better."

"A woeful critique."

"I'm not acquainted with any of Ayn Rand's works, but that perplexing review makes me want to read her. What did she do to the author to deserve such treatment? In any case it's unworthy of
L'Express.
"

"But the French press is always communist! I've read the book in English and it is not bad. It's not really accessible to those not familiar with Anglo-Saxon culture. If you want to understand the 'Tea Party,' read this book. Then you'll be able to answer the question, 'Who is John Galt?'"