Nate Smith

Free Will

82 posts in this topic

When you search your wallet for a ten dollar bill (thorough search) and do not find it, it is reasonable to conclude there is no ten dollar bill in your wallet.

Now apply the same common sense to searching for a mind either in or near one's body (and searching with the world's most sophisticated scanning equipment at that). And then not finding it. What might one conclude?

ruveyhn

Well, if I decided there was no ten dollar bill in my wallet, I would conclude that I have used my mind to ascertain that.

I must have a mind because I have changed it on occasion. What to do with someone who has no mind to change?

Why is anyone continuing to discuss an issue with someone who admits to not being aware of his own mind?

I should be more specific in my statement.

"Why is anyone continuing to discuss an issue with someone who admits to not having a mind?

Why is anyone continuing to discuss an issue with someone who admits to not being aware of his own mind?

I should be more specific in my statement.

"Why is anyone continuing to discuss an issue with someone who admits to not having a mind?

"... and does not hold that you have a mind?"

I have searched my pockets for dinosaurs with every scientific instrument and did not find any. Therefore, dinos don't exist.

I have searched my pockets for dinosaurs with every scientific instrument and did not find any. Therefore, dinos don't exist.

Incorrect: only very small dinosaurs which fit in pockets don't exist. Now go check your refrigerator and closet to see if any are there.

Incorrect: only very small dinosaurs which fit in pockets don't exist. Now go check your refrigerator and closet to see if any are there.

Done. Nothing there. No fossils either.

When you search your wallet for a ten dollar bill (thorough search) and do not find it, it is reasonable to conclude there is no ten dollar bill in your wallet.

Now apply the same common sense to searching for a mind either in or near one's body (and searching with the world's most sophisticated scanning equipment at that). And then not finding it. What might one conclude?

ruveyhn

That you are blind.