Arnold

Genetics and Kindness

4 posts in this topic

http://www.world-sci...111114_oxytocin

It makes sense that kind people are more likely to find a partner attracted to them. While we are in control of our actions, a person without empathy (psychopath or sociopath?) has to work at relating to others in a genuine way.

I read the article and I'm very skeptical. They only showed an association between a fuzzily defined standard of "kindness" and genes, and a weak one at that. There was only vague hypothesizing as to a possible causal mechanism. Given the huge differences in human behavior due to free will choices, the people claiming that traits like kindness are genetically based bear a heavy burden of proof.

Agreed every personality (except the completely insane) is in control of his will. But how is one to account for differences in personality that become obvious at an early age before conceptual development? For example; a timid versus outgoing child? Is there a "kind" personality, (as distinct from kind actions)?

Agreed every personality (except the completely insane) is in control of his will. But how is one to account for differences in personality that become obvious at an early age before conceptual development? For example; a timid versus outgoing child? Is there a "kind" personality, (as distinct from kind actions)?

I think there are inborn differences in emotional sensitivity, perceptual acuity, and memory, but whether it results in positive or negative behaviors is ultimately a result of choices.