Joss Delage

Who's your current pick for president?

43 posts in this topic

The field is very bad. If I were a citizen & a member of the Rep party, I would probably vote for Ron Paul, since nobody is going to do anything about Iran anyway.

The field is very bad. If I were a citizen & a member of the Rep party, I would probably vote for Ron Paul, since nobody is going to do anything about Iran anyway.

I met Ron Paul personally last August, shook his hand and looked him in the eye. I heard what he had to say to the audience, the standard libertarian presentation. Ron Paul strikes me as an honest reasonable man, but I would not want him as commander in chief of our armed forces. He lacks the combative fire required of a war-chief and a warrior. We are living in hard time, surrounded by enemies who do not hesitate to spill our blood (think of 9/11 in this connection). What we need right now is a genuine warrior. Unfortunately Barry Goldwater is gone from our midst and neither George Patton or Curtil Lemay are available. Norman Schwarzkopf is way too old for the job.

As much as I like Ron Paul I cannot vote for him for the reason stated prior. Given what the field looks like now, I am going on strike. I will not cast a vote for President/Vice President

ruveyn

I'll be setting up monthly Presidential Polls shortly. Then you can vote for your favorites and discuss your reasons for liking or hating them.

It's a pity they can't all lose :-(

If the Republican party cannot put up a decent candidate then I am not going to vote for President.

I am sick and tired of choosing the lesser of evils.

Here is what is likely to happen: If the Republicans put up the kind of crap they have showing us so far, the independent voters who are the only block capable of thwarting the Democrat voters will either stay home or vote for Obama. I am giving 8 to 5 odds that Obama will win the election if he runs, given the current choices and conditions.

The only person I would even consider voting for is Ron Paul and that is with great reluctance. If the U.S. finds itself at war Ron Paul will not be the ideal Commander in Chief. We really need someone who 1. Respects the Constitution (warts and all) and 2: Is a warrior. Well it sure ain't Mitt and and sure isn't the Republic Dough Boy, Newt.

Sorry for my pessimism, but I think my reasons are sound.

ruveyn

I had forgotten about Gary Johnson. It looks like he's going to run as a Libertarian...

The emerging reality seems to be that the candidates who can 'win' the election are the ones the world banksters will place at the forefront. Ron Paul won't win. Voting for him is the Ross Perot Effect. Unfortunately, the Republican candidates are all pre-selected by the shadow government banking cartels, so all of them are on that agenda. No matter whom you vote for, no matter who wins, the end result is the same: the steady march toward totalitarian collectivism. It won't stop until the entire system collapses in a disorderly and chaotic fashion. It will be armageddon when it happens. Only then, should the world bankers be somehow eliminated, can honest men have a shot at rebuilding America. Not terribly likely though. Dark Ages lie ahead and there is little we can do in a Democracy where 90% of the people are just plain ignorant, with the heads in the sand. Revolution won't happen until these 90% have lost their comforts and are on the verge of starving. Once they are starving, they will be no more effective at freedom fighting than North Korea's population. At that point, it's really over, as far as civilization. Maybe you can find it in pockets in a foreign land, or maybe in well concealed colonies in the middle of nowhere, but for the most part, the US experiment is over. The chess pieces have not yet been put back in the box yet, and inertia and existing capital keeps things going, but not for long.

The emerging reality seems to be that the candidates who can 'win' the election are the ones the world banksters will place at the forefront. Ron Paul won't win. Voting for him is the Ross Perot Effect. Unfortunately, the Republican candidates are all pre-selected by the shadow government banking cartels, so all of them are on that agenda. No matter whom you vote for, no matter who wins, the end result is the same: the steady march toward totalitarian collectivism. It won't stop until the entire system collapses in a disorderly and chaotic fashion. It will be armageddon when it happens. Only then, should the world bankers be somehow eliminated, can honest men have a shot at rebuilding America. Not terribly likely though. Dark Ages lie ahead and there is little we can do in a Democracy where 90% of the people are just plain ignorant, with the heads in the sand. Revolution won't happen until these 90% have lost their comforts and are on the verge of starving. Once they are starving, they will be no more effective at freedom fighting than North Korea's population. At that point, it's really over, as far as civilization. Maybe you can find it in pockets in a foreign land, or maybe in well concealed colonies in the middle of nowhere, but for the most part, the US experiment is over. The chess pieces have not yet been put back in the box yet, and inertia and existing capital keeps things going, but not for long.

I see this hopeless apocalyptic vision based on an alleged conspiracy of "banksters" taking advantage an ignorant and uncaring populace to be totally without evidence. Like most conspiracy theories, it does not acknowledge the real cause of our current trouble -- bad philosophy -- and, therefore, fails to see the power of good philosophy to fix and reclaim this country.

Who said anything about a conspiracy? It's just "human nature" to abuse power, and the bankers have had this power since the Federal Reserve Act of 1913. It's just that the irrational greed is uncontrollable by the majority of people because, as you say, it's bad philosophy that they hold. But now that they have this power, they use it to influence lawmakers and POTUS to get us into wars (which are very profitable for the bankers) and to make everyone a statutory criminal, so the prison industry becomes a huge and profitable money machine. It takes a lot of cooperation between individuals to make this happen. And it happens because the majority of the populace is lazy, disengaged, disenfranchised and will vote for more government largess. As long as this remains the case (and I don't see it changing), then there is no hope for America other than a sudden and utterly devastating collapse.

How are wars more profitable than either normal peacetime economic activity or other uses of this alleged banksters influence?

@John - they're not more profitable to society at large, but they are more profitable to certain segments of society such as say... military supply companies. I think the idea in the case of banks is that since governments always engage in massive borrowing and spending for wars, they have to a) borrow the money, usually in large part from banks and bankers, and B) repay that money with interest, to the profit of banks and bankers.

@John - they're not more profitable to society at large, but they are more profitable to certain segments of society such as say... military supply companies. I think the idea in the case of banks is that since governments always engage in massive borrowing and spending for wars, they have to a) borrow the money, usually in large part from banks and bankers, and B) repay that money with interest, to the profit of banks and bankers.

What was the last US war that was funded by bankers?

And I still have a hard time accepting that bankers make more money lending out money for war expenditures than they do investing during peacetime. (What would make a banker more cash, buying in on Microsoft when it was a dozen man operation, or buying and selling war bonds? This is conspiratorial nonsense.)

Who said anything about a conspiracy? It's just "human nature" to abuse power, and the bankers have had this power since the Federal Reserve Act of 1913. It's just that the irrational greed is uncontrollable by the majority of people because, as you say, it's bad philosophy that they hold. But now that they have this power, they use it to influence lawmakers and POTUS to get us into wars (which are very profitable for the bankers) and to make everyone a statutory criminal, so the prison industry becomes a huge and profitable money machine. It takes a lot of cooperation between individuals to make this happen. And it happens because the majority of the populace is lazy, disengaged, disenfranchised and will vote for more government largess. As long as this remains the case (and I don't see it changing), then there is no hope for America other than a sudden and utterly devastating collapse.

All you do with such posts, mweiss, and you've posted a flood of them over the years, is further dishearten the easily disheartened at a time when we need to encourage people to stand up.

Alexander Hamilton won. Too bad.

ruveyn

Frankly, none of us REALLY know what's going on behind closed doors in Washington or Wall St, but we get little fragments and clues from various persons who are close to the action and from that, we must draw our own conclusions.

Take Gerald Celente, for instance, he seems to be close to the markets and may have a pretty good view of what's really going on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVzmqkJMbLQ&feature=g-u&context=G264feeaFUAAAAAAAAAA

The reason I'm not terribly optimistic is because many smart, educated people don't believe that government is to blame, or that TOO MUCH government is to blame. On the contrary, the believe TOO LITTLE government is at fault.

I was having a debate with a friend who is of the left persuasion in politics. We were talking about Obama's failures and this is what he wrote:

Where to start? Maybe with how about $700 billion of that debt increase was TARP, which was initiated under Bush and the Republicans in Congress. And then it was discovered that TARP would end up only costing us $25 billion, not $700. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/29/AR2010112905453.html)

Maybe I could add in how health insurance rates increased more than 100% from when Bush came in to when he left. (http://www.kff.org/insurance/upload/7670_02.pdf), so insurance rates have basically risen at about the same rate they've been climbing for over 15 years now.

As far as debt, number of people on food stamps, and people in poverty, do I need to remind you all AGAIN that he came into office in the midst of a total world financial crisis that no one has manged to pull out from yet? Tax revenues are down because incomes are down across the board, but we've had two wars that had to be either wound down (Iraq) or stepped up (Afghanistan), so those still had to be paid for. And this time they were actually on the budget and not hidden from the general debt tab by means of emergency spending bills. Poverty is up because unemployment remains high, which means people need government services (Namely food stamps and unemployment insurance) more than ever, which drives debt higher. And unemployment remains high because firms see a lack of demand and don't hire. It's not because there's higher taxes, because tax rates have been lowered across the board since Obama took office in an effort to stimulate growth. Of course, lower taxes drive the debt higher.

As for whose fault it is, I can lay the blame pretty much all around. Obama and the congressional Democrats sabotaged their own stimulus plan by allocating 40% of it to ineffective tax cuts to win Republican support that never materialized. Many economists knew that it was too small at the time, but it was the best they thought they could do at the time. The whole theory of stimulus is to break the cycle of unemployment by having the government be the employer of last resort, giving people incomes that would let them have money to spend, thus creating demand, thus encouraging the private sector to hire more to increase production. All that happened with the weak-sauce stimulus plan was to mainly preserve public sector jobs that otherwise would have been lost and create some new jobs. In the end, it saved or created 3.3 million jobs (according to the CBO http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-25/obama-s-economic-stimulus-program-created-up-to-3-3-million-jobs-cbo-says.html)

But it's been a stunning tag team between Republicans in Congress dedicated to stopping any recovery and Wall Street refusing to do anything to endanger its fat profits that are the chief culprits in my book. Republicans made their intentions clear to never cooperate or compromise on anything, and so even the simplest government operations have become a nightmare quagmire. Remember the credit downgrade for the US? It was not due to the debt ceiling being raised. S&P said quite clearly in their press release that it was due to the 11th hour foot-dragging in Congress that brought us to the brink of default. In other words, it was because the Republicans intentionally tried to make us default as a political stunt. The downgrade happened because half the government has declared war on the other half, and S&P determined that we're so screwed up that we're a bigger credit risk now.

As for Wall Street, it encouraged a culture of betting for profit, then demanding a public bailout, lest they take down the entire world financial system with them. And what did they do with the bailout? You know, the money that was supposedly to open up frozen credit and encourage lending? Why, they borrowed the money at 0% interest and then bought government bonds that paid 2% interest, rather than using the money for its intended purpose. They then paid themselves handsome bonuses, clapped themselves on the back for (once again) screwing over the public at large, and then made sure to lobby hard to prevent any form of oversight that could stop them from doing this again in the future. As Jon Stewart pointed out on The Daily Show, this means that the US government is the world's most incompetent loan shark.

So, lots of people at fault here, but mainly it's due to a large segment of the US financial and government elite being absolutely determined to make certain that there be no recovery, because they think it's politically advantageous.

This is from an educated, intelligent individual, and he makes pretty good arguments that a lot of people believe. I think he's half correct about a lot of this stuff, too.

But then there is the rest of the country, the dumb, average worker whose main concerns in life are beer, sex and sports scores. They're not going to care until it's too late and they are being carried off to FEMA camps with their dumbfounded tongues hanging out in surprise.

The powers that be aren't going to give up their hedgemony. Corruption begets more corruption. Because it's the 'easy' path, it's the more likely path to be followed.

Consider this:

The Left controls the school system. School is compulsory.

The Left controls the majority of the politics in government.

The Left is in control of the banking system and the monetary agencies of the US.

The Left controls the economy, and the creation of government agencies to oversee government agencies, ad nauseum.

Few options are left this late in the game. A Get Out of Our House program of ousting every senator and congressman seems like the best plan, but that's also doomed, because only a microscopic minority are actively pushing that plan.

The majority are stupid. It's just the law of averages. Stupid people vote. Thus in any nation where Democracy runs the show, you're doomed from the start.

History shows a boom and bust cycle. We have the illustrious opportunity to be alive during the fall of one of the great civilizations in recorded history. What's on the other side, I can't speculate, but it will be LOT different than what we're used to.

None of that makes doom and gloom are foregone conclusion. You're simply rationalizing. (Consider looking into the mentality of the Colonies around the time of the Founding. It's not as rosy a picture as you might think given what was achieved and all that resulted from the Founding.)

The majority are stupid. It's just the law of averages. Stupid people vote. Thus in any nation where Democracy runs the show, you're doomed from the start.

You have an alternative? Perhaps you would prefer Philosopher Kings. As did Plato.

ruveyn

While I tend to give Alex Jones "9/11 was an inside job!!!!!" a grain of salt on most things, lately, he's been making a number of valid points. But again, we don't know because we're not privy to private memos and conversations moving about the halls of our government. We can only speculate. We see rising prices on the things we buy. Some of us run into complex new regulations and reporting requirements. The rest is what we see on the news and read in blogs.

It might be entirely possible that all of (and I mean ALL of) the bad things we are reading on the internet are the result of doomsayers who are speculating on their own because in fact, unless they work IN government, they don't have a damned clue what's going on IN government, other than what the media reports.

So it all boils down to what we believe. But that is not necessarily consistent with reality.

So all the gloom and doom may be unfounded, yes. But if we are to take what we read in financial journals like Gleason Report and Tickerforums as 'informed' and reasonably accurate, then we, as a nation, are in huge trouble.

The theory of how democracy fails is no secret. It's historical record. When the masses figure out that they can vote themselves a handout, that's the turning point where everything goes downhill until the weight of the welfare state crushes that particular civilization. It happens in cycles. The rise and fall of civilizations. And nothing much changes because few bother to read history. So they repeat the same mistakes. What makes America so special? What makes us immune to the laws of causality? We're going down, because of the general depravity of our culture. I can talk Objectivism to my neighbors and fellow shoppers at Home Depot till I'm blue in the face, but it changes nothing. Most folks I know are still voting for Obama in 2012.

It is a false alternative to claim there is a conspiracy of evil men at work or that things like unemployment, inflation, and unpayable debt are not happening. They are happening, but not due to a conspiracy, but to bad ideas. People do what they do because they think it is the right thing to do. If they are wrong, it will lead to bad results.

Thus inflation is due to deficit spending which is due to welfare and entitlements which is due to the idea that we are our brothers' keepers which is due to the generally accepted ideas of altruism and mysticism.

Let me play the Devil's Advocate for a moment: How do we know what the real deficit is? How do we know what's really going on in our government? Do we believe what the news media reports? How is it that they get the real facts from the powers that be?

Agreed on the general cause of this, but what are the concrete facts? Is George Soros hoping that 6.9B people will die in the coming century? Does Obama really want internment camps and indefinite detention of Americans?

I think none of us can say for sure, unless we hold top secret government clearance or are directly involved in architecting the New World Order. And in such case, that person would not divulge anything. We're shut out. We don't know anything. We only see rising prices, higher taxes and more police on the streets and more hassles with getting on a plane. But we really don't know what's really being said behind closed doors in Washington.

Let me play the Devil's Advocate for a moment: How do we know what the real deficit is? How do we know what's really going on in our government? Do we believe what the news media reports? How is it that they get the real facts from the powers that be?

Agreed on the general cause of this, but what are the concrete facts? Is George Soros hoping that 6.9B people will die in the coming century? Does Obama really want internment camps and indefinite detention of Americans?

I think none of us can say for sure, unless we hold top secret government clearance or are directly involved in architecting the New World Order. And in such case, that person would not divulge anything. We're shut out. We don't know anything. We only see rising prices, higher taxes and more police on the streets and more hassles with getting on a plane. But we really don't know what's really being said behind closed doors in Washington.

You sure write as if you know what's going on in DC. Maybe you're one of them . . .

One reason conspiracies are unlikely is that there is no way to hide the truth when people are involved. All you need is one person to leak the truth. Ask Julian Assange,

Given the sad, sad state of the Republican Party I am giving 8 to 5 in favor of Obama.

Believe me when I write that this is not the way I wish it would happen, but the way I think it will happen.

The Republican party has been reduced to a state of mindlessness, with the possible exception of Ron Paul who has marvelous principles and not an iota of talent for being a war-time commander in chief.

ruveyn