A N Other

Louis Sullivan Building

3 posts in this topic

Returning from a trip to St. Petersburg, my wife and I stopped in Sidney, Ohio, just a couple of miles off I-75 and visited the Peoples Federal Savings and Loan. I had heard sometime in the 1970's or so the building had been torn down, but saw pictures at a lecture in Chicago a couple of years ago. I realized that I had never been in any complete, standing Louis Sullivan building. I encourage anyone interested to do so.

An officer of the bank (sic) responsible for the maintenance of the building told me he had traveled to Grinnell, Iowa to visit another bank building converted to chamber of commerce offices. Apparently it has been modified and he was disappointed.

People's has been restored and carefully maintained. The only thing visible that was not Louis Sullivan was the more modern vault door.

Thanks, Betsy. I really should learn how to post links and pictures here.

There is a new book, the Complete Architecture of Adler and Sullivan which I am going to have to cave in and add to my library. I don't know enough about them. I'd like to see more details about Wright's time with them; I suspect he learned more about building - getting things out "there" in the concrete world from Adler than from anyone else.

I read a story somewhere that Wright went to a bid opening with Adler, who accepted a higher bid from a great contractor who was also a notorious crook, and passed over cheaper bids from a lesser contractor. When asked about it by Wright, Adler was supposed to have replied: You can police a crook, Wright; there's no way to get good work out of an honest incompetent.