Bill Bucko

THE OUTCASTS now in print!

6 posts in this topic

Many of you have read excerpts of my novel on the Forum.

It is now finished, and available in print:

as well as on Kindle:

Product Description

A 14 year old boy at the dawn of the Renaissance ... in a world of believers, he dared to say: "It would cost me my soul if I didn't question."

The Outcasts is the story of a family destroyed by the "family values" of faith, obedience, and conformity ... and a boy's rebellious quest for truth.

It's the story of Messer Agostino, a gruff patriarch who staggers back to his native Florence after being held a political prisoner for five years, his eyes burning with religious fervor--to find the city has sold his house for back taxes, his wife fears and hates him, and his son has turned away from the Church.

And it tells of his young wife Monna Teresa, obsessed by the damnation of unbaptized infants--who fears her husband will discover the secret she hides behind locked doors--and, in mounting hysteria, keeps a bottle of holy water at her bedside.

And it's the story of Marco, beaten since early childhood to teach him "you do as you're told"--a lesson he refuses to learn. An outcast and alone in the world--till he sees a savage Tartar slave girl stepping off a boat, in chains ...

These are people who stake everything on their beliefs--and pay the consequences, however high. Powerfully conceived, dramatically plotted, The Outcasts is a counterpart of The Brothers Karamazov, written from an opposite point of view: the unbeliever's. There's never been a novel to challenge Dostoyevsky's oft-quoted dictum that religion and morality are inseparable--no story that celebrates the pure gutsy rebelliousness of a thinker who dares to question and defy centuries of dogma. Until now.

"It will become a classic in the 21st century."

Edward Cline, author of the Sparrowhawk series, First Prize, Honors Due, China Basin, We Three Kings, etc.

Congratulations, Bill! :D

My apologies, but the print version will be unavailable for several hours. As I once told publisher Patricia Lechevalier, authors are fanatics and you should never trust us. I felt I just had to add a paragraph mark on one page; and it will take a while for Amazon to work that through the system. I can almost promise that there will be no further revisions.

Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1470044587

The paperback is now available again--as well as the Kindle edition!

The paperback is now available again--as well as the Kindle edition!

I waited for the paperback because I want to hold the book in my hand.

It is a great work of literature. "Plot. Plot. Plot" is superb. As is Mr. Bucko's style and characterization. This is the best new book I've read. Highly recommended.

This inspires in me a painting:

"The leaves were a pattern of darkness against the sky, their undersides more gray than green, like spear heads with ragged edges. A drop of water trembled on one tip, then fell sparkling through the air."

from The Outcasts, p. 19