free spirit

A new romance potentially moving away...

3 posts in this topic

Ok, so to establish a bit of context...

I met someone early to mid-November just past. When we had our first date then, we hit it off straight away and have been developing a relationship ever since. Now we are together. A lot has developed in these short months and feels like so much longer than it has been. I care very much for this person and am pretty certain he does also. He's originally from America and is completing his MBA here. (Toronto, Ontario)

We have recently realized that there is a huge potentiality of him moving away within the next 4 months for job purposes. Most likely to California because of the job opportunities there.

I have been trying to keep it light and fun as this is a new relationship and just enjoy him to extent I can. As we grow closer it's getting increasingly difficult to do so as it breaks my heart to think of him leaving. Sometimes if I think about it or we touch base on it, I will cry.

In the same token though, it's too early I think to consider moving away with him... My feeling this way is certainly undermining the relationship and my enjoyment of it as I feel more of an anxiousness to spend every minute with him before he moves away.

I know in this last stretch of school, he's stressed and the situation is certainly not easy for him either... The last thing I want to do is turn him off, nag him or bug him about this. But I know I have to talk with him thoroughly about it.

Aside from talking with him about it, I am at a loss as to what to do. Almost every morning I wake up with an anxious feeling inside and all I want to do is talk with him... Establishing contact helps me feel close to him and in turns relieves me.

Has anyone been in a similar situation...?

Thanks in advance.

I'd say, enjoy him while he's around. Don't put any pressure on him, yourself, or the relationship. Just let things develop naturally.

If there is mutual interest, his moving away isn't the end of the world. You can still stay in touch by phone and email, visit each other, move to a new place, and/or or modify your career plans. I know several couples who met at conferences, fell in love although they lived thousands of miles apart, and eventually managed to get together permanently.

Thank you Betsy. :-)